Okay, guys. Here is that delicious new recipe I promised you. SKINNY BEEF ENCHILADAS. Yes, Ma’am. Skinny Enchiladas that are so out-of-this-world good you will want to make them again and again! 😀
Those of you that have followed my blog for awhile know that I’m a die-hard Mexican food lover. It is my ultimate weakness. The flavors and textures in Mexican food drive me insane (in a very good way. haha!) Unfortunately though, most of it can be filled with tons of fat and grease. So times like now, when I’m trying to eat healthy-er and exercising, that kind of food just isn’t on my diet… until now.
I cut down on a lot of fat and calories by using really lean ground beef. 96% lean to be exact. But you could always use lean ground turkey or even chicken. I also made them with low-fat cheese and loaded them up with onion and spices so they were extra flavorful. I think that’s the typical problem with ‘skinny’ or ‘light’ recipes- they lack in flavor so it makes you miss the real thing. Not with these though, my friends. They are so tasty and totally cured my Mexican food cravings. *High five*
Serve these up with lots of salsa and light sour cream and you can thank me after dinner. 😉
- 12 small corn tortillas
- 1 lb. extra lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (28 oz.) can red enchilada sauce
- 1 to 2 cups low-fat shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- sliced black olives
- chopped fresh cilantro
- light sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan with non-stick spray.
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, brown and crumble ground beef with the chopped onion. (There should not be any grease to drain if you used extra lean beef.) Add garlic, cumin and black pepper to beef. Cook and stir another 5 minutes or so until heated through. Remove from heat.
- Wrap tortillas in a damp paper towel then warm in microwave for 15 to 20 seconds.
- Pour enchilada sauce in a medium bowl. Dip each warm tortilla in enchilada sauce then place on a plate. Top tortilla with 3 Tablespoons of beef mixture and 1 Tablespoon of cheese. Roll up and place in prepared pan, seam-side down. Repeat with all tortillas and beef.
- Pour enchilada sauce all over the enchiladas in pan. (You may not want to use all the sauce. I only used a little over half the can.) Sprinkle the tops evenly with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 20 to 25 minutes or until cheese is hot and bubbly. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving. Serve with desired toppings and enjoy!
- 6 servings (2 enchiladas per serving)
Filed Under: Beef, Dinner, Easy, Eats, Main Course, Mexican, savory, Skinny Recipes, Southwest Tagged With: beef, dinner, easy recipes, eats, enchiladas, life in the lofthouse, mexican, mexican food, Skinny Beef Enchiladas, skinny recipes