This soup is the bomb. It has amazing flavor, and is so comforting. The only thing I thought would make it even better…..
Mozzarella grilled cheese….. to be exact.
Dip these babies in that tomato soup, and you will be a happy camper, my friends.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 (14 ounce) cans Hunt’s Fire Roasted tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 20 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a heavy-bottomed large pot, over medium-high heat, pour in olive oil and saute onion until translucent. Add chopped garlic. Saute with onion another 2 minutes.
- Add cans of fire roasted tomatoes (including the juice) to the pan and cover for about 15 minutes, stirring as needed. Add the chicken stock and heavy whipping cream. Bring to a simmer. Cook uncovered, for another 10 minutes or until it thickens slightly.
- Stir in the chopped fresh basil and salt and pepper. Lower heat to medium-low and cook another 5 minutes.
- Using an immerison blender (or carefully transfer hot soup to a blender) and puree soup until there are no large chunks. Serve immediately with grilled cheese or warm french bread! ENJOY!
- 1 pound fresh whole milk Mozzarella, cut into thin slices
- 8 (1/2 inch thick) firm white sandwich bread slices
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon course salt
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- Place 2-4 slices of mozzarella on 4 pieces of bread. Top with other pieces of bread to form sandwiches.
- In a wide shallow bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the half & half, thyme, salt and nutmeg. Whisk well to combine.
- In a large nonstick pan, heat the 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon butter and cook until sizzling stops.
- Dip 2 of the sandwiches into the egg mixture, turning to coat. Place sandwiches in the pan and cook until golden brown on the first side ( about 2 minutes). Flip over and brown on the other side.
- Transfer sandwiches to a platter and repeat process with other 2 sandwiches.
- Cut sandwiches in half, and serve immediately.