Baked Mozzarella sticks use light string cheese that are coated in bread crumbs and seasonings. They’re then baked to perfection in the oven!
I can’t think of a better appetizer than gooey Mozzarella sticks! I am the biggest fan of these things. One of life’s guilty pleasures for sure. Too bad they’re fattening and totally unhealthy. 🙁 Fortunately, I have found a terrific replacement with this baked version. These ones are still every bit as good, and cheesy, and totally yummy!
These baked Mozzarella sticks use light string cheese (which are reduced in fat and sodium) coated in bread crumbs and seasonings. Then they are baked to perfection in the oven.
I’m still on the look out for an amazing homemade Marinara, so I just buy a jar from the store. Dunk these bad boys into the warmed marinara sauce and you’ll be a happy guilt-free person. 🙂
Baked Mozzarella Sticks
- 12 sticks Light string cheese
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup Panko crispy breadcrumbs
- 2 Tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley
- Non-stick cooking spray preferably the olive-oil kind
- Cut each string cheese in half, so you’ll have 24 pieces total. Place cheese pieces on a baking sheet and freeze until frozen, about 45 minutes.
- Place the beaten egg in a bowl. Place the flour in a separate bowl. Mix together both breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese and dried parsley in a third bowl.
- Dip each frozen piece of string cheese into the flour. Roll around to coat, then dip in the egg. Let excess drip off. Then coat entirely with breadcrumb mixture. Place coated cheese stick on a wax-paper lined baking sheet. Repeat process with all the cheese sticks.
- Place all coated cheese sticks back into the freezer. *It is important you freeze the coated cheese sticks or they’ll melt in the oven before the crumbs get golden and crispy) Freeze coated cheese sticks for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a separate baking sheet with foil. Spray foil with non-stick cooking spray. Transfer the frozen cheese sticks onto the foil-lined baking sheet. Then spray the tops of the frozen cheese sticks with the spray.
- Bake for 5-6 minutes, then turn cheese sticks over and bake another 5 minutes or until golden. Watch closely so they don’t melt.
- Serve with warmed marinara sauce! Enjoy ♥
8 thoughts on “Baked Mozzarella Sticks”
Why oh why did you have to post these? As if my addiction isn’t bad enough 😉 can these be a freezer meal & kept in the freezer?
Yana, you can definitely keep these frozen until ready to bake, up until 2 months! But I don’t know why you’d want to wait that long! 😉
Haha! I limit myself to a few at a time. 😉 thanks for providing a healthier version of these. I’ll def be making them!
I make a similar ‘skinny’ version – OH.SO.YUMMY!! Your photos are making me drool…=)