Breakfast Cookies are a healthy and delicious option for a simple breakfast or on-the-go snack. These will be loved by both kids and adults!
Ever since I was a kid, I always dreamt that one day I would be able to eat cookies for breakfast. I am so happy that as an adult I get to make that little girl’s dream come true. My Breakfast Cookies will be your new favorite way to start the day. These jumbo cookies are great for you and your kids. Packed with oats, fruit, and protein, this cookie is a better option than most quick and ready breakfast foods.
WHAT MAKES THIS BREAKFAST COOKIE SO GOOD?
I created this recipe because my kids are at that age when they must run out the door to get to school. Not all mornings have enough time to sit down and eat from a plate. I didn’t want them grabbing a quick package snack to eat later, so I started thinking and a lightbulb went off. If I mix oats, peanut butter, dried fruit, applesauce, bananas, and protein powder I’ll get a hearty and healthy morning snack. I tried this theory out and baked it into a soft and chewy cookie. I am happy to say the entire Lofthouse is thrilled to be eating cookies for breakfast.
WHAT KIND OF PROTEIN DO I USE IN THE COOKIES?
There are many good quality protein options out there. PEScience brand is my favorite. I like to use their vanilla flavored protein in this recipe. It adds the perfect balanced sweet flavor to the cookie. If you want a little sweeter cookie, try using a chocolate protein powder. Throw a few chocolate chips into the batter before baking and watch your kids eyes light up first thing in the morning!
HOW LONG DO BREAKFAST COOKIES KEEP?
These cookies don’t last long at my house because we all love them so much. If you have some left over you can store these on your countertop, or fridge, covered and sealed for up to 5 days. That’s long enough to have one each weekday! Each batch yields 10 cookies, but this recipe can easily be doubled or tripled as needed, depending on your family size.
ENJOY THIS RECIPE? HERE ARE A FEW MORE FANTASTIC BREAKFAST OPTIONS!
Scrambled Egg Breakfast Muffins – Protein packed muffins with ham, eggs, bell peppers, and cheese.
Breakfast Burritos – Flour tortillas wrapped with fluffy eggs, hash browns, and melted cheese.
Chocolate Protein Donuts – Chocolate donuts that are loaded with protein for a filling breakfast.
Peanut Butter S’mores Bites – Peanut butter protein bites filled with chocolate chips and marshmallow bits.
- 1 ¼ cups quick oats
- 1 ¼ cups old fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 medium banana, mashed (1/2 cup mashed banana)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 Tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder (this can be optional)
- 1/2 cup any kind of chocolate chips (I like to use white chocolate chips)
- 1/2 cup craisins, optional
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine the first 9 ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Stir well to combine.Stir in chocolate chips and/or craisins, if using.
- Using a large cookie scoop (#20 scoop), drop dough onto prepared baking sheet. You should get 10 large cookies.Shape and flatten cookies to your liking. They will not change shape during baking.
- Bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool before serving.