You won’t even miss the meat in the Instant Pot Vegan Chili! Full of beans and vegetables it is hearty, delicious and good for you!
Once upon a time I was a vegetarian. Yep, a full fledged vegetarian for over a year. I read the book ‘Diet for a New America’, by Jon Robbins, and it was a life changer for me. Even though I started gradually eating meat again (for a few reasons) I still love to eat vegetarian meals. I think it’s good for us to have a few meatless meals a week. This recipe for Vegan Chili is made in the Instant pot and from my contributor Allison Sklar. Allison’s recipes amaze me each and every time. I cannot wait to try her chili recipe!
As the days grow longer and the temperatures begin to rise, and soup and stew season comes to an end, I can’t help but cling to all of my beloved comfort foods. At the top of my ‘favourite meals’ roster lies my mouth-watering mixed bean chilli. A go-to crowd-pleaser, I make it whenever I’m hosting my most carnivorous friends to ensure that they never ‘miss’ the meat. The only downside to my usual chilli is that it takes a loooong time for all of those yummy flavours to mingle. But, because I am a food wizard, I’ve found a magical chilli hack! It’s the Instant Pot to the rescue! This incredible pressure cooker has allowed me to cook up weekend-worthy dinners every night of the week. This Instant Pot version of my vegan chilli tastes just as good as my original, but it cooks in a fraction of the time. It freezes super well too – though after one taste, I doubt you’ll have many leftovers.
Instant Pot Vegan Chili
- 1 white onion diced
- 2 red bell peppers diced
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large can 796ml plum tomatoes, drained & chopped
- 2 cans black beans drained
- 1 can red kidney beans drained
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp lime zest
- ¼ tsp salt or more, to taste
- Chopped fresh cilantro – for serving
- In Instant Pot, on sautée setting, cook the onions until translucent. Add cumin seed & bell pepper and continue cooking about 5 minutes. Add garlic & stir. Add remaining ingredients and stir.
- Lock the pressure and turn on pressure cook for 10 minutes, then allow a natural release.
- Delicious served with sour cream, cheese & scallions (will not be vegan if eaten with sour cream and cheese.)