A hearty salad with sliced turkey, salami, provolone cheese and much more. My Italian Sub Salad is the perfect alternate for any sandwich.
You know those lunches where you’re craving your favorite foot-long sub? For me, that’s almost each day, but eating that much bread wouldn’t allow me to fit into my favorite summer swimsuit. My Italian Sub Salad is the perfect solution to curb those carb cravings.
Start by washing and chopping a head of romaine lettuce. Fill the bowl with the romaine lettuce. Cube up a few slices of salami and lean turkey for your protein. Open and drain a can of sliced black olives. Cut in half a handful of ripe cherry tomatoes and slice a few banana peppers. Last but not least, slice up some provolone cheese, and you have all the makings for this guilt free sub substitute.
Dress this salad with an easy homemade Italian Vinaigrette for that extra level of finesse that will have your family exclaiming, “Mamma Mia!”. This salad is perfect in smaller portions for lunch, or in a large bowl for those large family nights. With all the flavor and love that goes into this Italian Sub Salad you’ll be saying ‘Arrivederci’ to those fast-food sub joints in no time.
CAN I USE OTHER MEATS?
Yes! Other meats that I recommend are: Capicola, Ham, Prosciutto, Pancetta, or Salsiccia for that enhanced authentic Italian flavor.
CAN I USE DIFFERENT CHEESES?
Of course! To keep the salad with Italian flavor I would recommend Parmigiano-Reggiano.
WHAT OTHER DRESSINGS CAN I USE?
For a little more flavor and substance a creamy Italian dressing would go very well with this salad. If you want to keep the salad lite use olive oil and balsamic vinegar for a simple and flavorful dressing.
DID YOU ENJOY THIS SUB SUBSTITUTE? HERE ARE A FEW MORE THAT YOU MIGHT ENJOY!
BBQ Chicken Salad – Tender barbecue chicken, black beans, corn and more come together to make this delicious BBQ Chicken Salad!
Crispy Chicken BLT Salad – Chicken tenders, chipped bacon, cherry tomatoes, and croutons over a bed of romaine lettuce.
Pepperoni Pizza Pasta Salad – Tender pasta, zesty pepperoni and Italian dressing come together to create this Pepperoni Pizza Pasta Salad.
Tex-Mex Chicken Chopped Salad – Crunchy romaine lettuce, black beans, corn, and grilled chicken with a taco-flavored ranch dressing.
Italian Sub Salad
- 3 cups freshly chopped Romaine lettuce
- 2 ounces sliced turkey
- 1/2 ounce sliced salami
- 1/2 ounce sliced provolone cheese
- 1 Tablespoon banana peppers
- 1 Tablespoon sliced black olives
- 6 cherry tomato halves
- Homemade Italian Vinaigrette:
- 1 packet Good Seasonings Italian Dressing (+Ingredients called for on packet; oil, water & vinegar)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 ½ Tablespoons water
- Place the chopped lettuce in a medium bowl. Top lettuce with sliced turkey, salami, provolone, banana pepper, olives and tomatoes.Drizzle one ounce of the Italian dressing over the salad and enjoy!
- FOR THE ITALIAN VINAIGRETTE:Prepare dressing as directed on the back of the packet (using the oil, water and vinegar it calls for.) Once prepared, add the remaining dressing ingredients starting with the dried Italian seasoning. Whisk well to combine everything. Serve immediately or store in the fridge for a few hours to chill and let the flavors blend together.
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE FOR LATER?
PIN IT TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD!