My little munchkins (aka. children) would eat macaroni and cheese for every meal, if I let them. There’s just something so kid-friendly about noodles covered in cheese. It’s amazing what some kids will eat and what they won’t. Emma wouldn’t touch a piece of chicken with a ten foot pole, but could eat slices of ham all day long. Go figure : /
She is my pickiest eater by far and is not afraid to speak her mind. She cracks us up daily with the funny things she says. As she was eating this macaroni and cheese she said, “Mom, I love this macaroni SO much I want to marry it!” ha ha
Skillet Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
- 12 ounces 3 cups elbow macaroni
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 Tablespoons butter cut into small pieces
- ground black pepper to taste
- Bring 3 1/2 cups water, 1 cup of the evaporated milk, the macaroni and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to a simmer in a 12-inch non-stick skillet, over high heat. Continue to cook at a vigorous simmer, stirring often, until the macaroni is tender and liquid has thickened. About 12 minutes.
- Whisk together the remaining evaporated milk, cornstarch and dry mustard in a small bowl. Stir mixture into the skillet. Continue to simmer another minute or so, until it starts to thicken.
- Remove skillet from heat and gradually stir in the 3 cups of cheddar cheese, one handful at a time. Stir until cheese is melted. Stir in the pieces of butter and season with black pepper. Serve immediately.