Sloppy Joes are a sweet and tangy beef mixture that’s full of flavor and stuffed between hamburger buns. They are so delicious, easy to make, and will bring you back to your childhood!
If you’re in need of a family-friendly recipe that you can get on the dinner table quickly, then this Sloppy Joe recipe is for you!
It’s this exact recipe that officially got me out of my ‘sloppy joe slump’. When I was a kid you couldn’t get me to eat a sloppy joe to save my life, but now as an adult they are one of my go-to dinners. They are so simple to prepare and everyone loves them. Even my own kids request these babies. 🙂
The homemade beef mixture has the perfect sweet to tang ratio and is basically effortless! After it’s finished simmering you stuff it in-between hamburger buns and then dinner is done!
Now, I like to add in a little extra step to really set the sloppy joes over the edge: toast the buns. It gives the sandwiches a little bit of crispiness that is amazing! So if you have a few extra minutes, make sure to butter up those griddles and crisp up those buns for one unforgettable sloppy joe!
No matter how you choose to eat your sloppy joe or what you decide to serve it with, you’ll down them in no time. You really just can’t go wrong with a messy, meaty and totally mouth-watering sloppy joe.
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 hamburger buns
- Melt butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the ground beef and onion. Cook and crumble until meat is no longer pink. Drain grease.
- Add ketchup, water, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, chili powder, salt and pepper. Stir well and let simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Butter the hamburger buns, if desired, and toast them under the broiler. Watch closely so they don't burn!Spoon meat mixture onto the bottom halves and cover with tops. Serve immediately and enjoy!
To reheat: Place container in fridge to let mixture safely thaw up to 24 hours. Place meat mixture in a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat until thoroughly heated.