Poppyseed Chicken Casserole is a creamy chicken dish with a buttery cracker topping. Serve it with a green salad for one incredible meal!
I have always been a casserole lover. They’re easy to throw together and make for a great family-friendly meal. This Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole I’m sharing today is a new favorite of ours. The homemade sauce is what makes the entire dish amazing! 😀
The sauce is creamy and has such great flavor. I think it’s the cream cheese that gives it it’s wow factor! We served ours over bow tie pasta noodles and had a side salad for a complete dinner. It was perfect. My kids loved it, too!
Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole
- 1 ½ pounds cooked shredded chicken breast
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk I use 2%
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 Tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 sleeve buttery round crackers (crushed)
- 2 Tablespoons butter melted
- chopped Parsley optional
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Whisk in flour and stir constantly until combined and flour turns golden-brown; about 2 minutes.
- Whisk in milk until combined then stir in chicken broth, sour cream, cream cheese, salt and pepper. Simmer 5 to 10 minutes or until cream cheese is melted all the way.
- Add cooked chicken and poppy seeds to sauce mixture. Stir to combine then pour into prepared baking dish. Top with crushed crackers. Pour melted butter evenly over crackers.
- Bake, uncovered, 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving over cooked pasta. Garnish with chopped parsley. Enjoy!