This famous Utah Fry Sauce is a sweet and tangy dipping sauce that’s perfect for French fries, onion rings and more. Once you try it, you won’t be able to eat French fries without it again!
If you’re a dipper, then you’re going to absolutely love this fry sauce! It comes together in minutes, is full of flavor, and totally addicting. If you haven’t tried this sauce yet, then do yourself a favor and make some ASAP!
For those of you wondering, fry sauce is a dipping sauce that is well known for being served just about everywhere here in Utah. Most of you have probably made it and just not realized you were making fry sauce!
The most basic form is simply made by mixing together ketchup and mayonnaise. To take things to the next level, we like to add in a variation of spices and a couple other ingredients to make it extra flavorful.
This recipe is also versatile, meaning you can switch up the ingredient amounts to fit your flavor preferences. Just add your desired amounts to a bowl and simply whisk all of them together. It’s best to now cover it, and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours to really let the flavors blend. But I don’t blame you if you don’t have the patience and want to dig in immediately!
Serve it with some crispy French fries, or on top of a juicy cheeseburger, and you’ll understand all the hype about this lovely Utah staple. Once you start dipping, you won’t be able to stop! 😉
INGREDIENTS IN FRY SAUCE
Simple ingredients for such bold flavor.
- Mayonnaise: to create a creamy base.
- Ketchup: to add that slight tanginess.
- Worcestershire sauce: for a slight smoky flavor.
- Pickle brine: for extra tang.
- Paprika: adds a very slight sweetness.
- Cayenne: for a little kick.
HOW TO MAKE FRY SAUCE
This recipe is just about as easy as it gets, seriously.
- Mix: throw all of the ingredients into a small bowl, mix until combined, and you’re done! All that’s left to do is serve!
This condiment is very versatile, so switch up the ingredients however you’d like!
- Heat: if you like spicier sauces, then go ahead and add in any spice you’d like! You could also add in your favorite hot sauce or some red pepper flakes if you’re feeling extra adventurous.
- Tanginess: fry sauce isn’t fry sauce without that little tang you get from the pickle brine, but if you’re not a fan, no worries! Swap it out for some vinegar or lemon juice and you’ll be good to go!
- Mayo: real mayonnaise is the way to go for this sauce. It makes it richer and thicker. But if you don’t like the flavor of real mayo then miracle whip works too.
HOW LONG DOES FRY SAUCE LAST?
As long as you keep it in an airtight container in the fridge, it should last up to one week. Once you’re ready to use it again just give it a little mix and serve as is!
Another thing to note is that with most sauces, the longer they sit, the more flavorful they become. So after sitting in the fridge for a couple of days it will be even more flavorful!
WHAT DO I DIP IN FRY SAUCE?
Just about anything! Here are a few of my favorite options:
- French fries: the obvious choice.
- Onion rings: a personal favorite.
- Corn dogs: it’s seriously so good on a corn dog.
- Burgers: any kind will do.
- Sandwiches: BLT’s and club sandwiches are a couple options.
- Wraps: a good old turkey or chicken wrap tastes amazing with a little bit of fry sauce on top. Cheeseburger wraps are another good choice!
- Chicken strips/nuggets: my kids’ favorite things to dip in fry sauce.
Don’t be afraid to get creative! Slather some fry sauce on just about anything! I’ve even dipped pizza in it, but don’t tell anyone. 😉
Utah Fry Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1 ½ Tablespoons dill pickle juice
- 1 ¼ teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Place all of the ingredients into a medium bowl. Whisk really well until combined. Serve immediately or cover tightly with a lid, and let chill in fridge for a few hours to let the flavors blend.Serve with French fries, onion rings, on hamburgers and more! Enjoy!
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE FOR LATER?
PIN IT TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD!