I love BBQ Chicken Pizza. It is my favorite pizza by far. These calzones are basically the same thing but a tiny bit easier to make. The only difference is that I used some good ol’ Pillsbury Grands Biscuits for the calzone dough, instead of making it from scratch.
The calzones turned out so awesome. I was dreaming of eating them for leftovers the next night, but was sadly disappointed when I opened the fridge and they were nowhere in sight. (I totally meant for that to rhyme. haha)
Apparently Kale had them for a ‘late night snack’ the night before. That little stinker! I’ve learned my lesson though. I’m going to start hiding my leftovers in the dark little spaces in my fridge so he cant find them. ;)
BBQ Chicken Calzones
- 1 (16 ounce) can refrigerated Pillsbury Grand's Homestyle Biscuit Dough
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken breast
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup cooked, chopped bacon
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a small bowl, mix together the cooked chicken and barbecue sauce.
- Remove biscuit dough from can. Take one dough piece and lay out on a clean surface. Roll out flat into a 6 inch circle. Repeat with all dough circles.
- In the center of one flattened dough circle, place about a 1/2 cup of barbecue chicken. Top chicken with desired amount of bacon, red onion, cilantro and about a 1/3 cup Mozzarella cheese. Take another flattened dough circle and place over the top. Seal the edges by pressing them together. ( I used a fork to help seal edges.)
- Repeat process with all remaining dough circles and ingredients. You will have 4 calzones total.
- Place all prepared calzones on to a large, lightly greased baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until calzones are golden brown and cooked through. Carefully remove from oven. Let rest about 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!