If you are a big zucchini fan like us, you are going to love these Beef Enchilada Zucchini Boats! They are beyond delicious! Seasoned ground beef and homemade enchilada sauce stuffed on top of zucchini. Oh my goodness. The pictures alone are making me crave them all over again.
I love healthy recipes that are full of flavor, and these zucchini boats are just that! That’s the great thing about this recipe. You’ll feel like you’re treating yourself to some naughty bad-for-you comfort food, but really you’re not. 🙂 Sure you can leave off the cheese to make them extra healthy, but I don’t know why you would want to do that. What’s an enchilada without cheese? 😉
Beef Enchilada Zucchini Boats
- 5 medium zucchini cut in half lengthwise
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup colby-jack cheese shredded
- diced tomato
- sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Scoop out centers of cut zucchini leaving 1/4 inch rim to create the boats. Lay zucchini in baking dish. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, cook ground beef and onion in a large skillet, over medium-high heat, until browned and crumbled. Drain grease. Add garlic, tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin and paprika. Stir to combine.
- In a liquid measuring cup whisk 2/3 cup water and cornstarch together until blended. Pour into beef mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer 5 minutes then remove from heat.
- Remove zucchini from oven and spoon beef mixture into zucchini. Sprinkle tops with corn and cheese. Return to oven and bake 5 to 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with toppings and enjoy!