The Best Green Bean Casserole recipe is made with fresh green beans that are covered in a creamy homemade sauce and topped with a layer of crispy fried onions. This delicious dish will make any holiday meal only better!
If you’re planning on making a green bean casserole for Thanksgiving or Christmas then this Best Green Bean Casserole recipe is the one you need to make and will not disappoint!
You may be asking yourself, “Now Holly, why are you being so bold to claim that this recipe is ‘The Best’”?
Well, I can fully explain. That title is given due to the heavenly homemade sauce and the lack of anything canned in this recipe. It’s completely made from scratch.
The sauce is so easy to prepare and comes together SO quickly, yet it tastes like it’s been simmering on the stove all day. It’s thick, creamy, buttery and has just a hint of garlic flavor that leaves you wanting more!
To kick things up a notch, I also use fresh green beans rather than canned ones because it gives the casserole the most refreshing flavor that’s just to die for. That isn’t to say that you can’t use canned or frozen, if that’s easier for you then go right on ahead! By doing so, you may not be able to achieve the same degree of fresh flavor, but it will still have that delicious green bean flavor we’ve all come to love!
Last, but certainly not least, is the French’s fried onions. I’d have to argue that these are probably the most important part of the entire dish. They add that much needed crunch and saltines that just completes the dish.
Believe me when I say that this is definitely one of those instances when less does not equal more. I always make sure to be generous and just load them on. They make it totally worth every single calorie. Ha! 😉
MORE DELICIOUS SIDE DISHES YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
The Best Green Bean Casserole
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans rinsed, trimmed then halved
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups half-and-half or use whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup French's fried onions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook green beans for 5 to 7 minutes. Drain water. Pour cooked green beans in the prepared dish in an even layer.
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, melt butter. Once melted add garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Whisk in flour until smooth. Cook for 1 minute while constantly stirring.
- Pour in chicken broth. Stir and cook for 3 minutes.
- Next, pour in half-and-half or whole milk. Decrease heat to low and continue to stir and cook until sauce thickens. About 10 minutes. Season sauce with salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce evenly over the green beans in dish. Sprinkle the fried onions on top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes. *Place a piece of tinfoil over the top the last 10 minutes to prevent onions from burning.*
- Remove from oven and let rest 5 minutes or so before serving. Enjoy!