Yes, I admit it. I am a green bean casserole lover to the core! I not only make this classic dish at holiday dinners, but I make it year round with some of our favorite chicken dishes. I highly adapted this recipe from an old Food Network one. It’s the only recipe I use because of the ingredients. Fresh, simple, yet amazing.
The creamy homemade sauce is why I call this one, “The Best!” No canned stuff in this recipe. The sauce is super easy to prepare and comes together quickly. Fresh green beans are also another must of mine. You can definitely use canned or frozen but I personally love the flavor of the fresh.
Last, but certainly not least, is the French’s fried onions. I load them up in this casserole! I love the crunch and saltiness they bring. They make it totally worth every single calorie. ha! 😀
So if you’re going to be making a green bean casserole on Thanksgiving or Christmas I hope you give this one a try!
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans, rinsed, trimmed then halved
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups half-and-half (or use whole milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup French's fried onions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook green beans for 5 to 7 minutes. Drain water. Pour cooked green beans in the prepared dish in an even layer.
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, melt butter. Once melted add garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Whisk in flour until smooth. Cook for 1 minute while constantly stirring.
- Pour in chicken broth. Stir and cook for 3 minutes.
- Next, pour in half-and-half or whole milk. Decrease heat to low and continue to stir and cook until sauce thickens. About 10 minutes. Season sauce with salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce evenly over the green beans in dish. Sprinkle the fried onions on top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes. *Place a piece of tinfoil over the top the last 10 minutes to prevent onions from burning.*
- Remove from oven and let rest 5 minutes or so before serving. Enjoy!