Warm up on a cool night with this comforting and delicious Broccoli Cheese Soup! This soup will make bellies warm and happy!
We got some snow in our little southwest corner of Utah last night. We don’t see snow too often around here, so of course the kids are pretty excited! All it makes me want to do is stay home from work, cuddle up in a blanket, and eat a giant bowl of this Broccoli Cheese Soup 🙂 This stuff is life-changing!
Broccoli cheese soup has always been a favorite of mine. I’ve had a million different versions and I love them all, but the one I’m sharing today is beyond words delicious. It’s a copycat version from Panera Bread. I’ve never been to a Panera Bread but I’ve heard the food is amazing, and their motto is serving real food only. No processed crap. I love that. I do use canned cream soups all the time, but when I can avoid it I’m happy to.
There’s not much more I can say to sell you on this deliciousness, so make it asap! 🙂
Broccoli Cheese Soup
The most delicious Broccoli Cheese soup you will ever eat!
Author: Life in the Lofthouse
- 2 bunches of fresh broccoli (enough for 4 cups chopped florets)
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups half and half ( or heavy cream)
- 6 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup freshly grated gouda cheese
- In a large pot, over medium-high heat, add the vegetable (or chicken) stock, the chopped broccoli, carrots, onion, garlic and bay leaves. Stir and cook mixture for 20 minutes, or until veggies are tender. Once tender, remove the bay leaves.
- In a separate large pot, melt the 6 Tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Slowly whisk in the 6 Tablespoons of flour. Once mixture is golden then pour in the broth and veggies. Continue to whisk mixture to incorporate the roux. Stir in the 2 cups of half and half and stir to combine mixture. Sprinkle in the garlic salt, nutmeg, basil and cayenne.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer soup for 20-30 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir in 1 cup of the cheddar cheese and all the gouda cheese. Remove from heat.
- If soup is too thick, you can thin it out with a little milk or water.
- Serve soup in individual bowls and top with more cheddar cheese. Enjoy ♥