Chicken Fajitas that taste like the ones from Chili’s restaurant. These delicious fajitas will win everyones heart at the dinner table!
These chicken fajitas are the best! They are a copycat version of Chili’s fajitas. I LOVE theirs and order them all the time when we go there. The marinade for the chicken is what makes these amazing!
The flavors in these Chicken Fajitas are mild, yet wonderful. There’s a slight smokiness from the liquid smoke you add, and I believe it’s the secret winning ingredient. Whoever came up with this recipe must have worked at Chili’s, because they really did nail it on the head.
The Best Chicken Fajitas
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (about 3 limes)
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (don't skip this!)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 ½ pounds chicken breasts (about 3 large chicken breasts)
- 1 yellow onion cut into thin strips
- 1 green bell pepper cut into thin strips
- 1 red bell pepper cut into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lime juice a quick squeeze of a cut lime
- dash salt and pepper
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a large bowl. Place chicken in the bowl and turn a few times to coat with marinade. Cover bowl with saran wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- After marinading, take chicken out of the bowl and discard marinade. Grill chicken for atleast 5 minutes per side or until thoroughly cooked. ( if you have fat pieces of chicken you may want to cut them in half lengthwise to ensure they cook evenly and thoroughly) Remove from pan or grill and place chicken on a plate. Tent with foil to keep warm.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat 1 Tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add sliced onion and peppers. Stir fry until softened but still slightly crisp. Add soy sauce, water, lime juice and salt and pepper. Stir and continue to cook another 3-5 minutes. Slice chicken thinly and toss with the peppers and onion mixture. Serve immediately with flour tortillas, salsa, lettuce, tomato or whatever your heart desires!