Gooey and delicious Sticky Lemon Rolls have the perfect hint of lemon flavor. The Lemon Cream Cheese Glaze tops them off to perfection! Trust me, these are one roll you don’t want to miss out on!
Hi friends! Can you believe Easter is in just a few days? I can’t, although I am really excited for it. It’s going to be a super busy weekend. First, we’re having an Easter egg hunt Saturday morning in our neighborhood with everyone! We really lucked out in the neighborhood department. I have the friendliest, kindest neighbors you’ve ever met. We are lucky!
After the egg hunt we are heading to the St. George Art’s Festival with some of Kale’s family, then off to the car show! I think I may blog about the Food Truck food they have there but we’ll see. It depends on how delicious the food is (usually it’s amazing) and if I get a chance to take pics. I may be too busy stuffing my face with all the goodness and fighting over who gets the last deep-fried Oreo with my girls. 😉 haha!
Sunday will be my favorite part of the weekend.. A nice Easter dinner with my little sister Lindsey and her family, and then a big egg hunt for all our kiddos. ♥
Now, lets get to these STICKY LEMON ROLLS WITH LEMON CREAM CHEESE GLAZE. They are WONDERFUL and would be so perfect to serve on Easter morning. When I made them I actually made the dough the night before then set them out on the counter the next morning to rise. They baked up beautifully and were so delicious. Gooey, creamy and with the perfect hint of lemon flavor. Trust me, these are one roll you don’t want to miss out on. I can’t wait to make them again!
MORE ROLL RECIPES YOU MAY LIKE:
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE FOR LATER?
PIN IT TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD!
Sticky Lemon Rolls with Lemon Cream Cheese Glaze
- 2½ teaspoons (1 envelope or ¼ ounce) active yeast
- ¾ cup milk, warmed to about 100°F
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature for an hour
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 lemon, zested
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- STICKY LEMON FILLING:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 lemon, zested
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, very soft
- ¼ teaspoon powdered ginger
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- LEMON CREAM CHEESE GLAZE:
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- FOR DOUGH: In the bowl of a stand mixer, sprinkle yeast over warmed milk and let it sit for a few minutes or until foamy. Using the mixer paddle and with the mixer on low speed, stir softened butter, eggs, sugar, vanilla, lemon zest, and 1 cup of the flour into the milk and yeast mixture. Stir in the salt and nutmeg. Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft yet sticky dough.
- Switch to the dough hook and knead at low speed for about 5 minutes, or until the dough is smooth and stretchy.
- Lightly grease a large bowl and set dough inside. Cover and let rest until dough is doubled in size.
- FOR STICKY LEMON FILLING: While the dough is rising, stir together sugar and lemon zest in a medium bowl. Add butter and ginger; beat together with a hand mixer until it is thick and creamy. Slowly add the lemon juice and whip. Refrigerate for at least ½ hour or until you are ready to assemble the rolls.
- ASSEMBLE ROLLS: Lightly grease a 13x9-inch baking dish with baking spray. On a lightly floured surface, pat the risen dough into a large yet still thick rectangle — about 10 x 15 inches.
- Spread the dough evenly with the sticky lemon filling. Roll the dough up tightly, starting from the top long end. Stretch and pull the dough taut as you roll, to keep the lemon filling inside. Cut the long dough roll into 12 even rolls and place each in the prepared baking dish.
- Cover the rolls with a towel and let them rise for 1 hour or until puffy and doubled. Heat oven to 350°F. Place rolls in oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- While the rolls are baking, prepare the glaze. In a small bowl, beat lemon juice and cream cheese until light and fluffy. (Reserve the lemon zest.) Add the powdered sugar and milk; blend until smooth and creamy.
- Glaze the rolls: When the rolls are done, drizzle them with the cream cheese glaze, and sprinkle the reserved lemon zest over top to garnish. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm and enjoy!
RECIPE ADAPTED FROM: KITCHN