Sweet BBQ Chicken Kebabs are the perfect dinner for grill night. Sensational skewers loaded with marinated chicken, bell pepper and pineapple are perfectly charred on the grill.
Have you checked your propane tank lately? If not, it’s time to because grilling season is here! You’re going to want to be in your backyard cooking all summer long especially when you have recipes like this. My Sweet BBQ Chicken Kebabs are sweet, smokey, tangy, and loaded with fresh bell pepper and pineapple. Make sure the garden is blooming this year because you’ll be craving these kebabs on a regular basis.
WHAT ARE SWEET BBQ CHICKEN KEBABS?
This version of kebabs are truly heavenly for me. Juicy pieces of BBQ marinated chicken sizzle together with freshly chopped bell pepper and pineapple. Skewered together from head to toe, these flavor masterpieces are what summer memories are made for.
HOW DO I MAKE SWEET BBQ CHICKEN KEBABS?
Not only are these delicious, they are very simple to create. The following is the list of ingredients:
- 1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 6 Tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- 2 cups fresh pineapple chunks
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- Metal or Wooden Skewers
HOW DO I ASSEMBLE THE KEBABS?
Mix the BBQ sauce and orange juice concentrate together first and set aside. Cube the chicken into one inch size pieces. Do the same with all the vegetables and pineapple. Lay out the clean skewers and alternate threading a piece of chicken, vegetable, and pineapple chunk onto the skewer. Get creative and have fun with alternating colors for a masterpiece of culinary artwork. Once all the skewers are full, brush the sweet BBQ sauce on every square inch of the kebab. Now, they are ready to grill!
WHAT SKEWERS SHOULD I USE?
Whenever I make kebabs, I like to use metal skewers. If you prefer to use the wooden skewers it is highly important that you let your wooden skewers soak in cool water for at least an hour before threading the chicken, veggies, and fruit. This way while they are on the grill, they won’t set fire.
If you prefer to use the metal ones, like me, then be very careful as you cook them because they do get very hot. After they are finished cooking they continue to stay hot for a while. Please be careful.
HOW DO I GRILL THE KEBABS?
Set the grill to medium-high heat. Keep the lid shut while you preheat the grill for at least 10 minutes. When ready, place skewers on the grill and cook for 10 to 15 minutes while rotating kebabs every couple of minutes. This ensures they cook evenly. They are finished cooking when the internal temperature of chicken reaches 165 degrees F.
CAN I USE OTHER VEGETABLES WITH THE KEBABS?
Absolutely! If you are feeling the creative spirit, then I say let it flow. Other vegetables that would be good to add to the kebabs are mushrooms, zucchini, squash, and red onion. If there is something growing in your garden that you would like to use, then I say thread it on there!
CAN I MAKE SWEET BBQ CHICKEN KEBABS AHEAD OF TIME?
If you have the whole family invited for a backyard BBQ, then this is the recipe to prepare ahead of time. Make sure to soak the wood skewers first, then assemble and brush the kebabs with BBQ sauce. Lay them all out on a large baking sheet then lightly cover with saran wrap. Store them in the refrigerator until it’s time to grill! The flavors of everything will start to marry and only make the kebabs that much more flavorful.
ENJOY THIS RECIPE? HERE ARE A FEW MORE THAT ARE DYING TO GET ON THE GRILL!
Grilled Cilantro Lime Chicken – Juicy chicken breasts that have been marinated with cilantro and lime then grilled to perfection.
Grilled Steak Kebabs – Tender morsels of steak grilled with fresh vegetables for juicy and flavorful skewers.
Grilled Huli Huli Chicken – This dinner is overflowing with island vibes with grilled chicken thighs with a sweet and tangy tropical glaze.
Grilled Italian Chicken – Juicy chicken breast grilled with an array of Italian herbs and spices.
Sweet BBQ Chicken Kebabs
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 6 Tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 2 cups fresh pineapple chunks, cut into 1 ½ inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, cut 1-inch pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 8 to 10 metal or wooden skewers
- If using wooden skewers, start by placing them into a large dish of cool water to soak in for at least a half hour to an hour. *(They can start on fire if you grill them dry.)
- Heat grill to medium-high heat. Mix together the barbecue sauce and orange juice concentrate in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Thread the chicken alternately with the pineapple and peppers onto all the skewers. Brush all the kebabs with all of the barbecue sauce mixture.Meanwhile, preheat grill to medium-high heat. Close the grill lid while it preheats.
- Place kebabs on the grill. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, turning throughout cooking process. They are ready when internal temperature of chicken reaches 165 degrees F.Enjoy!
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE FOR LATER?
PIN IT TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD!