Remember the Crock Pot Taco Soup recipe I posted the other day? Well, I have the perfect thing to go with it. This SWEET CORNBREAD! Oh my goodness, this bread was so good. Sweet, moist and just so delicious. (And super easy to make!)
I love cornbread. I honestly had never made it from scratch until I tried this recipe. Normally, I would buy those little boxes from Jiffy and call it good. But now that I know how easy and worth it is to just make myself I don’t think I can go back to the box mixes anymore. 😀
I crumbled up a piece and spread it all over the top of my Taco Soup and ate in pure delight. lol. It was so good I grabbed another piece, slathered it in butter, and ate some more. I was one happy girl. You guys, this really is the perfect bread to enjoy any soup or chili with. I hope you give it a try this soup season!
- 4 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¾ cup salted butter, melted
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine egg yolks, milk, vanilla, and melted butter. Stir to combine.
- Add the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt to mixture. Stir until combined but do not over mix.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Carefully fold them into the batter.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!