I can officially declare this Chicken in Basil Cream Sauce my favorite meal at the moment. It is spectacular! 🙂 Crispy pan fried chicken drenched in a warm basil and Parmesan creamy cheese sauce. Mmmmm It is literally heaven on a plate!
There are many reasons why I adore this chicken, but I especially love that it’s all done on the stove-top. No oven required. I’m really trying to avoid my oven at all costs with these crazy hot temperatures. 🙂
This chicken is really incredible. It’s easy enough for a weeknight dinner, and fancy enough to serve to guests on the weekend!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup dried Italian bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Pound each chicken breasts to an even ½ inch thickness.
- Place milk and bread crumbs in separate, shallow bowls.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Dip chicken in milk, then coat with crumbs. Cook chicken in butter, on both sides, until cooked through (About 10 or so minutes). Remove from skillet and keep warm.
- Add the garlic to skillet and cook for 30 seconds over medium heat. Add the chicken broth to the skillet. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and stir to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in cream. Boil and stir for 1 minute. Reduce heat.
- Add Parmesan cheese, basil and pepper. Stir sauce and cook until heated through. Remember that for a thicker sauce all you have to do is cook it longer. I cooked mine about 5 minutes. Turn off heat and let stand a minute or so and sauce will thicken even more.
- Serve chicken with sauce poured over the top and extra chopped basil, if desired.