If you have ripe bananas sitting on your kitchen counter then this Chocolate Chip Banana Cake is the perfect thing to make with them! This moist cake is absolutely delicious and full of chocolate and banana flavor!
It’s Jodi again from 5 Boys Baker. Today I’m sharing a recipe for Chocolate Chip Banana Cake, which is the perfect thing to make with those ugly, aging bananas sitting on your kitchen counter, staring you in the face. Haha.
I’m funny about bananas. I like them, but I don’t love them. It’s not my fruit of choice. I’d much rather eat an apple, an orange, strawberries, raspberries, watermelon, etc. Very rarely do I ever grab a banana just to eat, and on the rare occasion that I do, it has to be firm with the skin still slightly green, there can’t be even one spec of brown on it or I won’t eat it. If a banana is even slightly soft and I take a bite, I’ll most likely gag on it.
Now offer me some banana bread, banana cake, a banana laffy taffy, a banana creamie ice cream bar, and I’m all over it. For some reason, I always seem to have 3 bananas on my counter, turning blacker and blacker every day so I’m always looking for new recipes to use them in.
Since I’m being completely honestly about my feelings towards bananas, I have to admit that when they are ugly, brown and ripe enough that the only possible thing to do with them is make bread or something else, it actually grosses me out to even touch them. I may or may not have been known to put rubber gloves on when peeling an overly ripe banana.
I know, I have issues. 🙂 lol
That being said, this Chocolate Chip Banana Cake has been a huge hit at my house. My husband declared it “absolutely fabulous” and my two oldest sons have told me over and over again how much they love it. They also think the chocolate frosting is a must. You can certainly leave it off or even swap it out for cream cheese frosting.
If you have elderly bananas sitting on your counter getting blacker and blacker by the day, you really need to make this cake! 😀
Chocolate Chip Banana Cake
- 1/2 cup salted butter softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup, a little less is fine)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 ¾ cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons salted butter softened
- 1 ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×9-inch pan with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment ( or in a medium bowl using a handheld electric mixer), cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the eggs and mix until combined. Add the bananas, vanilla and sour cream and mix well. Add the dry ingredients and mix until just blended. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spread batter evenly into the prepared pan and bake 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cake cook completely and frost with chocolate frosting (if desired).
- In a small mixing bowl, place softened butter, cocoa, powdered sugar, vanilla and milk. Mix with an electric hand mixer, beating until smooth. (Add as much milk as needed to get desired consistency).