Lemon Sugar Cookies are a sweet citrus cookie with a fluffy lemon-flavored buttercream frosting. These cookies are delicious, bright, and sure to bring a smile to your face!
Sugar cookies are such a great blank canvas to work with when baking. They are the perfect set up for so many ways to succeed in the sweet treat department. With a little addition to my favorite sugar cookie you will take it from ordinary to extraordinary. My Lemon Sugar Cookies have a tantalizing twist that will brighten anyone’s day. All you need is a little more than 30 minutes and you’ll have a fresh batch of amazing lemon cookies.
DO I USE REAL LEMONS IN THIS RECIPE?
One of the best ways to make sure you have natural and authentic lemon flavor is by using fresh lemon juice and zest in the dough. You’ll thank me later! Since the tart profile of lemon goes a long way all you need is 1 lemon for the entire recipe. This will give you the right amount of juice and zest for your cookies. Throw away the artificial lemon juice in your fridge and go grab the real deal!
LEMON BUTTERCREAM FROSTING!
The base recipes for Lemon Sugar Cookies are perfect just by themselves, but when you spread a thick layer of lemon buttercream frosting you will feel transported to heaven. This fluffy topping of frosting is pretty incredible! I have served these with and without frosting, and the ones with frosting have always disappeared faster. A cookie that is gone quickly and is irresistible, is what I am here to deliver.
HOW MANY COOKIES DOES THE RECIPE MAKE?
One recipe yields 30 cookies when you use a standard-size cookie scoop. This recipe is simple to make, and quick to bake. No chilling time required. You can bake these as soon as you’re done mixing the dough!
When you’re finished with your first batch, and if you have a little time left over, make some more! I promise you that your kids won’t be upset about it. Lemon Sugar Cookies are the perfect little bright dessert that will make the day of every lemon lover.
ENJOY THIS RECIPE? HERE ARE A FEW MORE COOKIE RECIPES TO BRIGHTEN YOUR DAY!
Soft and Chewy M&M Cookies – Delicious cookies with colorful chocolate coated candies baked inside.
S’mores Cookies – Soft and chewy cookies filled with marshmallows, chocolate chips, and graham cracker crumbs.
The Best Sugar Cookies – The best recipe for sugar cookies with a creamy pink frosting.
Homemade Oreo Cookies – A chocolate cookie sandwich with a homemade cream cheese frosting center.
Lemon Sugar Cookies with Lemon Frosting
Lemon Sugar Cookies:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup salted butter
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup salted butter softened to room temperature
- 1/2 Tablespoon sour cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- For Lemon Sugar Cookies: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper or spray with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a medium-size bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt until combined.In a separate medium-size bowl, cream the butter and sugar together with an electric hand-mixer. Beat in the eggs and vanilla just until combined. Gradually blend the dry ingredients in. Mix together, scraping the bowl until everything is combined. Try not to over-mix the dough.
- Scoop dough with a standard-size cookie scoop and place onto prepared cookie sheets; spacing at least 2-inches apart. (15 cookies per cookie sheet.)Bake cookies for 10 to 11 minutes only. Don't over-bake. Remove from oven and let cookies cool completely on the cookie sheets.
- For Lemon Frosting: Place the softened butter, sour cream and lemon zest in a medium-size bowl. Mix together until combined. Gradually add in the powdered sugar and lemon juice. Mix well until all creamy and combined. Frost over cooled cookies and enjoy!
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE FOR LATER?
PIN IT TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD!