This Margherita Pizza has all the essentials. Olive oil, garlic, tomato, freshly grated Mozzarella cheese and basil leaves on top of homemade pizza dough. This pizza is a family favorite at our house!
On Wednesday I divulged my favorite pizza dough recipe. Check it out in HERE in case you missed it. Once you try it I swear you won’t make homemade pizza any other way! 🙂
Since I shared my favorite dough it’s only fitting I share my favorite pizza: Margherita Pizza. I love everything about this delicious pie. Tomato, garlic, olive oil and mounds of Mozzarella cheese. Oh, and basil. Don’t forgo the fresh basil. It takes it to all levels of amazing.
I tried my first Margherita Pizza at The Cheesecake Factory about 10 years ago, and totally fell in-love. I used to order it everytime we’d eat there, but now that I can make it myself I get to order other things off their menu, and enjoy my favorite pizza at home. 😀
- 1 recipe for pizza dough
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 medium Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 cups freshly grated Mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 7 large basil leaves, torn into small pieces
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Oil a large pizza pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine olive oil and minced garlic. Add tomato slices and let tomatoes marinate for 15 minutes.
- Spread pizza dough out onto prepared pizza pan. Brush dough with the olive oil/garlic mixture. Sprinkle cheeses evenly all over the top of dough. Place tomato slices evenly over the cheese.
- Sprinkle the torn basil leaves evenly over the top.
- Bake pizza in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until edges of pizza are nice and golden brown. Remove pizza from oven. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve and enjoy!
The Best Pizza Dough
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, fitted with the dough hook, mix the water, honey, oil, yeast and salt. Add the flour gradually until a soft dough forms and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.The dough should be soft and smooth. You can add up to another ½ cup of flour, but no more than that.
- Knead the dough for 3 minutes in stand mixer.
- Cover dough with plastic wrap and let rest for 10 minutes. Shape and flatten dough out onto a greased pizza pan. Add sauce and toppings of your choice.
- Bake at 425° F. for 15 to 20 minutes or until edges of dough are golden-brown.
Makes enough dough for 1 large pizza OR 2 small