Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken Soup is simple, delicious and so comforting. The hint of coconut and lime make this even better. You can throw this soup together in no time at all and then let your slow cooker do the cooking for you!
Hi there! It’s Jodi from 5 Boys Baker and today I’m sharing a simple and delicious Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken Soup recipe!
I know it’s still warm outside, and soup might be the last thing on your mind, but remember fall is just around the corner. I actually love soup and chili year round, especially recipes that I can make in my slow cooker. I don’t know about you, but I try to avoid turning my oven on in the summer as much as possible (cookies might be the only thing worth heating up my kitchen for 😊).
Next to my Kitchen Aid stand mixer, my slow cooker is probably my most used kitchen appliance. It’s been a lifesaver on so many days. I love just being able to throw everything in and then walk away. I happen to own four different slow cookers and some days have two or three different things slow cooking at once. And yes, one of them is usually a dessert (lol!).
This soup is a favorite around here. The addition of coconut milk might seem a little strange, but I promise the flavor is really subtle and makes this soup that much better! Feel free to garnish it with just a few of the toppings are all of them, you can’t go wrong there.
- 1½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (10 oz) can coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (12 oz) jar salsa verde
- 2 (14 oz) cans great northern beans, drained
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
- 1 small jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1½ teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- juice of ½ a fresh lime (or a little more if you’d like)
- TOPPINGS: (optional)
- Fresh cilantro
- Sour cream
- Tortilla strips or chips
- Cogito cheese
- Sour cream
- Place the chicken breasts in your slow cooker and then add the coconut milk, broth, salsa verde, beans, corn, green chiles, jalapeño, cilantro, cumin and garlic powder. Cover and cook on low 4 to 5 hours or until chicken is done and shreds easily. Remove chicken and shred, then return it to the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper and the lime juice. Garnish with desired toppings.
I love lots of beans in my soups, so occasionally I will add a third can of beans, it’s totally up to you.
If you don’t want too much kick, you can cut back to ½ of a jalapeño. You may want to start with half and if you want more kick, add some more.
The coconut milk adds such great flavor, so even if you’re not a fan of coconut, don’t leave it out. My son isn’t a fan and he loves this soup.
Recipe from: 5 Boys Baker.com