This Strawberry Cake is a soft and moist strawberry cake with real strawberries inside. It’s topped off with a rich and delicious cream cheese frosting!
My hubby and I celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary on July 1st. Since it landed on a Monday, we celebrated on Sunday, and because it was the only day we could get a babysitter. Before our date, I whipped us up this amazing Strawberry Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting!
I admit, it does start off with a box cake mix. Some of you may gasp, but if you’re like me, you are proud of those box cake mixes because they make pretty darn good cakes. I doctored mine up a bit, by adding sour cream (which makes it super moist) and freshly chopped strawberries.
Cream cheese frosting is what I topped it off with and the results were the most delicious strawberry cake I have ever had in my life. Kale said the same. We all loved it. This one is a keeper, for sure. 😀
Strawberry Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (15.25 ounce) box Strawberry Cake mix ( I used Pillsbury Moist Supreme)
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup oil
- 3 large eggs
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 1 cup fresh, chopped strawberries
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 ( 8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ cup butter, softened
- 3½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the cake mix, water, oil, eggs and sour cream. Using a hand mixer, beat on low speed until combined, and then on medium speed for about 30 seconds. Dump in the cup of strawberries and mix by hand, until just combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cake cool completely before frosting.
- For frosting: In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese and butter until combined and creamy. Slowly add in the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, until combined. Add the milk and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until frosting is smooth and free of any lumps. Frost cake and serve! ♥
Store cake covered in the refrigerator up to 3 days, if you have any leftovers.