Bacon and Brown Sugar Green Beans are so delicious with a mix of savory and sweet flavors. These will turn any veggie hater into a big fan of green beans!
There are two kinds of people in this world, those who like green beans and those who don’t. I am one of the former. I absolutely love green beans! They remind me of when I was a kid at our holiday meals. We typically made ours with cream of mushroom soup and crispy onions. I still love them that way, but these Bacon and Brown Sugar Green Beans are my absolute favorite way to enjoy them!
WHAT MAKES THIS RECIPE SO GREAT?
The combination of flavor from the sweet brown sugar, and savory component of bacon create the perfect sweet and salty balance. The texture of the crispy bacon also compliments the texture of the soft green beans. Your taste buds will be doing the happy food dance with each and every bite.
CAN THIS DISH BE MADE VEGETARIAN?
If there is someone in your family that doesn’t eat meat, I suggest serving your crispy bacon on the side. I usually end up with a little extra that I like to sprinkle on top of my personal serving because I love bacon so much! But for the non-meat eaters in your family, just withhold the bacon in the recipe, and serve on the side instead.
WHAT IS THE PREPARATION LIKE FOR THIS DISH?
Bacon and Brown Sugar Green Beans are so simple to make. Each of the ingredients go together in one skillet! You will dice and cook your bacon first then set aside. Add your green beans into the skillet (pro tip, cooking the beans in the bacon grease will add lots of extra flavor) then throw in the brown sugar, honey mustard and garlic. This sweet and salty side will be on your table in 30 minutes, and serves 6 to 8 people.
ENJOY THIS RECIPE? HERE ARE A FEW MORE OF MY FAVORITE SIDE DISHES!
Garlic Parmesan Mashed Potatoes and Gravy – Creamy homemade mashed potatoes with parmesan cheese and thick gravy.
Grilled Corn with Cilantro-Lime Butter – Grilled corn on the cob with a flavorful homemade infused butter.
Baked Parmesan Zucchini – This zucchini side dish is healthy, flavorful, and satisfactory.
Slow Cooker Creamed Corn – Corn that has been slowly cooked in the crock pot with butter, cream cheese, and seasoning.
Bacon and Brown Sugar Green Beans
- 1 ½ pounds fresh green beans
- 6 slices raw bacon, chopped
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons honey mustard
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the green beans in a large pot; cover beans with water. Cover with lid and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook beans until barely tender. (This takes about 5 minutes or so. Don't over cook.)Drain water and rinse green beans under cold water. Set beans aside.
- Place the raw, chopped bacon in a large, non-stick skillet. Turn heat to medium. Cook and stir bacon pieces until cooked to your liking. (We like ours barely crisp.)Add brown sugar, honey mustard and garlic to skillet and stir to combine everything. Add cooked green beans to skillet. Gently stir to coat green beans with the sauce.Let mixture come to a slight boil, then reduce heat to low. Cook another 5 minutes or until beans are heated through.Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm and enjoy!
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE FOR LATER?
PIN IT TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD!