Beef Burrito Skillet is a delicious alternative to the Mexican food classic. It only takes 30 minutes from start to finish, so your family can enjoy an amazing meal in hardly any time!
I am so excited to share this new recipe with you guys! My Beef Burrito Skillet is a healthier option than most traditional burritos, and it’s just as flavorful! We spare nothing on ingredients for these bowls.
This meal is so easy to prepare. It only takes 30 minutes from start to finish, so your family can enjoy a delicious meal in no time at all.
The substitutions that I’ve made from a traditional burrito are using lean ground beef and jasmine rice as a base, instead of flour tortillas and extra fatty meats, to keep calories down.
PRO TIP: when cooking your rice make sure you rinse it with water in a mesh strainer a few times. This cleans the grains of excess starch and will give your dish the best flavor possible.
We top our burrito skillet servings with low fat sour cream, guacamole and sometimes a little Queso. It is heavenly! I love to pull this recipe out on the nights when I don’t have that much time to cook a meal, but still want my family to have something healthy and totally yummy.
WHAT OTHER RICE BASE OPTIONS ARE THERE?
CAN THESE BE MADE VEGETARIAN?
For a veggie forward option try substituting the ground beef with Avocado slices. Just add them after it’s all cooked.
ENJOY THIS RECIPE? HERE ARE A FEW MORE THAT CAN BE ON YOUR TABLE IN 30 MINUTES!
Chicken Stir Fry – Chicken breast cooked with peppers, broccoli, and onions in a delicious teriyaki sauce and served with rice.
Chicken Taco Bites – Cubed chicken breast sauteed in a flavorful zesty taco sauce.
Tex-Mex Chicken Chopped Salad – Crunchy romaine lettuce served with corn, black beans, onion, and chicken breast with a Tex-Mex kick.
Double Decker Tacos – Crispy beef tacos that are wrapped in corn taco shells with a refried bean layer.
Beef Burrito Skillet
- 1 pound lean ground beef (I use 7% fat)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 can (10 ounces) Rotel (diced tomatoes and green chilies) undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) corn drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans drained
- 1 cup uncooked jasmine rice
- 2 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Colby-Jack cheese
- Spray a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray. Turn heat to medium-high and then add ground beef to skillet. Crumble beef and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Then add garlic, diced bell pepper and onion. Continue to stir and cook until beef is no longer pink. Drain any grease.
- Add salsa, Rotel, corn, black beans, jasmine rice, taco seasoning and chicken broth. Stir gently to combine everything. Bring to a boil, once it starts to boil reduce heat to low. Cover with lid.
- Let mixture simmer, covered, for 15 to 18 minutes, or until rice is tender and thoroughly cooked.Remove skillet from heat and sprinkle the top evenly with shredded cheese. Let stand a few minutes for cheese to melt then serve in individual bowls and your favorite burrito toppings (sour cream, guacamole, Queso, shredded lettuce, etc.) Enjoy!