Italian Herb Roasted Chicken is an oven baked dish that is full of juicy herbaceous flavor. This simple recipe only takes 40 minutes to hit the table to feed your hungry family.
Chicken is the perfect vehicle for so many meals. It is my favorite blank canvas to work with in the kitchen. Everybody around the Lofthouse enjoys a juicy chicken breast, and I for one love finding ways to take this ordinary protein and make it extraordinary. This Italian Herb Roasted Chicken is one of my most flavorful yet!
WHAT SEASONING DO YOU USE ON THE CHICKEN?
While preparing this dinner I open my seasoning cupboard and start shopping. I grab bottles of thyme, oregano, rosemary, and parsley. These Italian spices and herbs marry well together with the amount of garlic that pairs with them. Coat the chicken with the herbs, spices, and garlic and let it set while you preheat the oven.
HOW DO YOU PREPARE THE CHICKEN?
This recipe has double the flavor and texture with how each chicken breast is prepared. I started by lightly breading each piece of chicken on both sides. Before the chicken goes into the oven, I pan sear each side for just about a minute or so in a little olive oil. This gives each piece of poultry more body as you cut into it. Sear on medium high heat for only a minute or two on each side. Afterwards the chicken goes into a baking dish and finishes in the oven. Pro tip! Don’t pound out and flatten your chicken. Keep the full breast intact for a plump and juicy piece of meat.
WHEN IS THE CHICKEN FINISHED COOKING?
When each piece has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees it is done! It’s important that you check your chicken after 15 minutes of baking time. This will ensure that you don’t end up with an overcooked piece of meat for dinner.
ENJOY THIS RECIPE? HERE ARE A FEW MORE OF MY FAVORITE CHICKEN RECIPES!
Chicken Chimichangas – Stuffed and fried tortillas with shredded chicken and Monterey cheese.
Chicken Stir Fry – Pieces of chicken stir fried with broccoli, peppers, and onions in a savory glaze.
Taco Chicken Bites – Tender bite sized pieces of chicken with a zesty and flavorful taco seasoning.
White Chicken and Spinach Lasagna – A hearty and comforting dish full of lasagna noodles, chicken, and spinach.
Italian Herb Roasted Chicken
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut in half, so you have 8 small pieces.
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.In a large, freezer ziplock bag, add the flour, salt and pepper. Place 4 chicken halves at a time, into the bag, and shake well to fully coat the chicken. Repeat with other 4 halves until well coated.
- In a heavy-bottomed skillet, pour 2 Tablespoons of olive oil in the bottom. Heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown the coated chicken, on both sides, until nice and golden brown. (You do not need to cook it all the way through. It will finish cooking in the oven.)Transfer the chicken to the prepared baking dish.
- Combine the thyme, oregano, rosemary, parsley and garlic salt into the chicken broth and remaining olive oil. Stir well. Baste chicken with the broth mixture, then place in the oven uncovered. Bake for 15 minutes (and continue to baste every 5 minutes while it cooks.)Chicken is done when the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Do not overcook.Serve warm and enjoy!
3 thoughts on “Italian Herb Roasted Chicken”
If I want to get this ready the day before is it safe to brown the coated chicken then refrigerate until the next day or would I skip the browning step all together?
I would wait and do the browning until you’re ready to bake it as well.
Can I use this recipe with boneless skinless chicken thighs.