These homemade Chicken Chimichangas are delicious! There are two ways you can make these incredible chimichangas- baked or fried! Either way you can’t go wrong!
First of all, I need to clarify that you can make these amazing Chicken Chimichangas TWO ways. Baked or Fried. The pictures I’m sharing today are of the baked version. I promise you they still taste amazing baked. It’s all about the seasoned chicken inside is what makes these so yummy. Yeah, the fried version is out-of-this-world delicious, BUT when you’re being health and calorie conscious, go with the baked version, and you will still be satisfied!
My husband is a simple man. He’s pretty quiet and very easy going. My total opposite. I think that’s why we fit so well. Usually when I make a recipe for the first time I’ll ask him what he thinks of it. His normal response would be, ” Oh, it’s ok.” or “It’s good.” … and that’s about it. Sometimes I just want him to rave and tell me how great it was and that I’m the best cook in the world! lol But it just never happens. That all changed when I made these Chicken Chimichangas for us. I asked him my usual question after he had taken a few bites, “So what do you think?”
His response, “These are the BEST chimichangas I’ve ever had. Better than any restaurants!”
I fell over.
Then I got back up, took a bite, and completely agreed with him. These babies are AMAZING. The seasonings you cook with the chicken make these so flavorful, and with the monterey jack cheese and diced green chilies, Gah! You will just fall in love.
Author: Life in the Lofthouse
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil, plus more for frying
- ½ cup diced White Onion
- 1½ teaspoons minced Garlic
- ½ tablespoon Chili Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground Cumin
- 3-4 cups cooked, shredded Chicken
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- 1 (4 oz) can Diced Green Chilies
- 8 (10 inch) Flour Tortillas, warmed
- 1½ cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- TOPPINGS: Salsa Verde, Sour Cream, Guacamole, etc
- In a large, deep skillet, pour in enough vegetable oil to fill it half full. Heat oil at medium low heat. (This will be the oil you fry the chimichangas in.)
- FOR BAKED VERSION: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a separate large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add in the diced onion and saute until slightly softened. Add in garlic, chili powder, oregano and cumin. Cook stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the shredded, cooked chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the green chilies and continue to stir and cook mixture for another 5 minutes, or until thoroughly heated. Set aside.
- Warm tortillas in the microwave. On each tortilla, add about ½ cup of the chicken mixture into the center. Top with 2-3 tablespoons of the shredded monterey jack cheese. Fold sides over the mixture, then fold bottom over the sides and roll up. Place folded chimichangas, seam side down on a large plate/platter, and repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Using tongs, lower one chimichanga at a time, into the hot oil, seam side down. (*It is helpful to hold them with the tongs while they are in the oil to keep them from opening) Fry until golden brown on both sides. This only should take a minute or two, depending on how hot your oil is.
- Place deep fried chimichangas onto a paper towel lined plate to soak up grease. Serve immediately with your favorite toppings!
- FOR BAKED VERSION: Place the wrapped chimichangas onto a lightly greased baking sheet. Spray the tops with non-stick spray. Bake in preheated oven for 20-30 minutes, or until golden brown.