This Slow Cooker Beef Barley Soup is so perfectly comforting! You will fall in love with the tasty beef chunks and bits of barley in every bite. This soup is also loaded with vegetables!
Hi friends, it’s Kathryn here from Kathryn’s Kitchen Blog! Today I am sharing one awesome soup recipe with you. Not only is this soup heart and healthy, it is also easy to make in a slow cooker! I think Slow cookers are sent from heaven above. How can you just dump all of the ingredients in a pot and then end up with a delicious and comforting meal hours later? I love it.
Soup isn’t just for those cold winter evenings. You can eat it any time in my world! I love soup all year round because they are easy and also an excellent way to get in plenty of veggies. There is something about soup that is so warm and comforting. I especially love soups that have chunks of beef, just like this one! This soup is also filling because of the meat, potatoes and barley in it. Warm crusty bread makes a perfect side to go along with this. 🙂
- 1 lb. stew meat
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 carrots; peeled and cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion; diced
- 3 ribs of celery; sliced in half and cut into ½ inch pieces
- 3 cloves of garlic; minced
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 6 cups of beef broth
- ¾ cup barley
- 2 bay leaves
- Heat a large nonstick skillet or frying pan on medium high heat. Season the meat pieces with black pepper, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and dried thyme. Add oil then brown meat.
- Once the meat pieces are browned, add to slow cooker along with all the other ingredients except the barley.
- Cook on low heat for 7 to 8 hours OR on high heat for 4 to 5 hours.
- Uncover lid and stir ingredients to combine. Add the barley. Cover with lid again and cook for an additional hour on high heat. Remove bay leaves, serve and enjoy!
Recipe from: Kathryn’s Kitchen Blog