Strawberry Shortcake Sheet Cake is a soft white cake topped with cream cheese frosting and freshly sliced strawberries. This is a sensational summer dessert for any celebration!
During the summer months I love to make desserts that are bright and flavorful. The summer sun, especially here in Southern Utah, is beaming daily. It’s also a great time to use fresh fruit. Buds from the spring have now bloomed into juicy and irresistible fruit. My Strawberry Shortcake Sheet Cake utilizes fresh plump strawberries from the Lofthouse garden and showcases them to their best ability. This is the quintessential summer dessert!
WHAT IS STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE SHEET CAKE?
This yummy dessert starts with a delicious layer of white cake. The batter is spread throughout a jelly roll pan to have a dense yet delicate base. Topped with a layer of cream cheese frosting and then an array of freshly sliced strawberries, this cake is irresistible. I am almost sure everyone will go back for a second helping.
WHICH INGREDIENTS DO I NEED TO MAKE STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE SHEET CAKE?
The following is the complete list of everything you will need for both the cake and the cream cheese frosting.
- White cake mix
- Instant vanilla pudding mix
- Sour cream
- Vegetable oil
- Egg whites
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- Cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Cool whip
- Fresh strawberries
HOW DO I MAKE STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE SHEET CAKE?
Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a jelly roll pan (15 x 10-inches) with nonstick cooking spray. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the cake mix and instant vanilla pudding together. Next, add sour cream, milk, oil, vanilla and egg whites. I recommend using an electric hand mixer. Mix batter for one minute or until smooth. Spread cake batter evenly into the greased pan. Bake for 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean. Let the cake cool completely before frosting.
HOW DO I MAKE THE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING?
While the cake is baking, beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla together until smooth. Fold in the cool whip. Make sure the cake is completely cool before frosting. This will make sure the frosting doesn’t become warm and runny. Once the cake is frosted then top with slices of fresh strawberries. If you’re not serving the cake immediately, I suggest waiting to add the strawberries until you serve it.
DOES THIS RECIPE MAKE ENOUGH SERVINGS FOR A LOT OF PEOPLE?
Strawberry Shortcake Sheet Cake is perfect to make for all your big summertime gatherings. This recipe yields 15 big servings. You can cut the pieces a bit smaller to make 20 small servings. That is a lot of cake to go around! It’s just the right treat for all your BBQ’s that you have on the horizon, or a day out at the lake. This dessert is begging to be eaten outside! My kids look forward to strawberry season every year because of this cake.
CAN I STORE LEFTOVER CAKE?
Of course, but I’ll be surprised if you have any leftovers! Cover the sheet cake with plastic wrap then place it in the refrigerator. It should stay good for 3 to 4 days. Depending on how fresh the fruit is, you may want to check it sooner to see if the fruit is still good to eat.
ENJOY THIS RECIPE? HERE ARE MORE OF MY FAVORITE SUMMER DESSERTS!
Easy Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream – This incredibly cool and tasty strawberry ice cream that doesn’t need an ice cream machine!
Summer Fruit Salad – A versatile recipe that is great for any side at a picnic or BBQ. It’s also great served as a healthy dessert alternative.
Oreo Ice Cream Cake – Elevate every pool party with everyone’s favorite cookie in the form of a dense ice cream cake.
Shamrock Shake – A thick and creamy milkshake that is bright with mint chip chocolate flavor.
Strawberry Shortcake Sheet Cake
- 1 box (15.25 ounces) white cake mix
- 1 box (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 container (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup milk (I use 2%)
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces thawed cool whip OR 8 ounces fresh whipped cream
- 2 cups freshly sliced strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a jelly roll pan (15 x 10 inches) with non-stick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the cake mix and pudding mix together. Next, add sour cream, milk, egg whites, vegetable oil and vanilla extract to the bowl. Beat mixture with an electric hand mixer, on medium speed, for about one minute, or until batter is smooth and combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared jelly roll pan, spreading batter out evenly. Bake cake for 16 to 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove cake from oven and let cool completely before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Place the softened cream cheese in a medium bowl. Beat with an electric hand mixer until smooth. Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth and combined. Fold in cool whip or whipped cream.Frost the cooled cake with the frosting; spreading out evenly. When ready to serve, top cake with the sliced strawberries. Enjoy!