Texas Caviar is loaded with beans and diced fresh veggies tossed in a homemade vinaigrette. It’s delicious, fresh, and packed with flavor. It’s the perfect side dish to make for your next barbecue or potluck.
Hey there, it’s Jodi from 5 Boys Baker and I’m so excited to share this delicious dip recipe with you today.
If you’ve never heard of or tasted Texas Caviar before, you’re missing out. It’s basically a salad, a dip and salsa all rolled into one. I think it actually originated as a salad, but is now most often eaten as a dip.
Texas Caviar is the perfect party food! It’s so simple to make and I love how bright and colorful it is. I also love how adaptable it is. You can easily swap out any of the ingredients for things you like better or just leave them out. For instance, if you don’t like black beans, use pinto beans instead, or if you don’t care for cilantro, leave it out. Are you catching on here?
Whether it’s eaten as a salad or with tortilla or pita chips, it’s absolutely delicious! I could eat the entire bowl all by myself. It’s also delicious spooned on top of grilled chicken!
This is the perfect side dish to take to those summer BBQs, family parties, potlucks, etc. I can almost guarantee you will be the hit of the party if you bring this to share. And with summer gardens soon to be flourishing, garden fresh tomatoes and fresh corn on the cob are delicious to use in this recipe.
CAN I MAKE THIS DIP IN ADVANCE?
Yes! You can cut the veggies and toss them together with the remaining ingredients and refrigerate. Also, you can prepare the dressing ahead of time and refrigerate it. About an hour or so before you’re ready to serve it, just combine all the ingredients together and chill until ready to serve. If you’re adding avocado, don’t add it until just before serving.
CAN I USE DIFFERENT BEANS?
Yes, feel free to mix and match the beans you use. For example, you can use pinto or kidney beans in place of black beans. I do recommend leaving the black eyed peas in though, just because they are a classic ingredient in Texas Caviar.
CAN I USE CANNED CORN INSTEAD OF FROZEN?
While I prefer using frozen corn, you can certainly use canned corn. Just make sure to drain the corn really well before adding it.
A FEW OTHER TIPS:
Make sure you let this chill for 60 minutes before serving. This helps bring out all the flavors and makes it taste even better. If you’re short on time, make sure it gets at least 30 minutes of chill time.
If you want to add the avocado, don’t add it until just before serving. After all, who likes brown avocado?
If you’re in a pinch for time, you can use store-bought Italian dressing, but I love making my own for this. It’s super fast and easy to make.
If you like a little more kick, go ahead and sprinkle some red pepper flakes into the dip. I love doing this!
MORE DIP RECIPES YOU MAY LIKE:
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE FOR LATER?
PIN IT TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD!
Recipe type: Appetizer, Dips, Meatless
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups Roma tomatoes, diced small (you can also use grape or cherry tomatoes cut up)
- 1½ cups frozen corn, thawed
- ½ cup green bell pepper, diced small
- ⅓ cup chopped red onion
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 or 2 avocados, diced (optional)
- Tortilla or pita chips, for serving
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, lime juice, cumin, pepper, salt, oregano, garlic powder and brown sugar. Put in fridge while you prepare the other ingredients.
- In a large bowl combine black eyed peas, black beans, tomatoes, corn, bell pepper, red onion, jalapeño and chopped cilantro. Pour dressing over and gently toss until evenly coated. If needed, season with salt and pepper to taste. Chill in refrigerator for at least an hour and then gently toss once more before serving. If desired, add in some diced avocado just before serving.
- Serve with tortilla or pita chips. Store in refrigerator.