I love casseroles. They’re easy to throw together and most of them have all the elements of a complete meal. This one caught my eye when I read there was Dijon mustard in it. I knew it would give it awesome flavor. Plus with the words ‘cheesy chicken and bacon’ in the title, that’s a winning combo for me! It turned out really good, even the kiddos loved it. I made mine with brown rice to try and give it more of a healthier vibe. (I try to be healthy people, I really do)
This dish will be in my monthly dinner rotation. Fo sho!
Cheesy Chicken, Bacon and Broccoli Rice Casserole
- 2 small chicken breasts cooked and cubed
- 3 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups broccoli florets steamed
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup onion finely diced (optional)
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1 14 ounce can Low-Sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1-2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Set bacon aside. Remove all grease from pan except 2 tablespoons. Add onion (if using) and saute for a few minutes. Whisk in flour until a thick paste forms. Stir in chicken broth, half and half and dijon mustard. Stir until mixture slightly thickens, then add in parmesan cheese. Stir until cheese is melted. Remove from heat.
- Spray a 8×8 baking dish with non-stick spray. Layer rice, chicken and then broccoli in the dish. Pour cheese sauce evenly over the broccoli. Crumble bacon evenly on top. Bake for 15 minutes or until heated through. Serve!
Adapted from Eat Cake for Dinner
(chicken and flour not pictured)
Spread the cooked brown rice in an even layer
Then spread out the cooked chicken over the rice
Next up, the steamed broccoli
Pour the cheese sauce over the top, and then sprinkle with bacon.
Pop that bad boy in the oven and let it bake until it’s hot!
Serve and devour! Mmmmm
20 thoughts on “Cheesy Chicken, Bacon, and Broccoli Rice Casserole”
Um I can’t wait to try this one Holly. It reminds me a little bit of chichen divan. I bet the bacon and the dijon mustard take it over the top. I love dijon.
Changing my plans! Making this tonight!
Yum yum yum! I love the title. How can you not want to try this?
This is will be finding it’s way to my table soon!
Now that is my kind of casserole. Heap a big helping in a bowl and dig in!
This is such a fantastic “make the day before” meal. I am going to seriously try this!!
I really love cheesy recipes, I mean who doesn’t? simple dished like this one really make my happy
I’ve had a chicken bake in the back of my mind for weeks and haven’t made it yet…. and now I really need to. I’m 100% starving again now. Dang. 🙂 ~Megan
All I can say is WOW!!!!
Anything with the word cheesy is going to be great…I just know it:-) This does sound super yummy!!!
That looks so tasty. I’d love it, I know, but my broccoli-hating husband might have a hard time with it. I wonder if I could sneak the broccoli by him since it is cheesy and filled with delicious chicken and rice!
Or just replace the broccoli with Peas or even carrots work.
Can this be frozen?
Made this for dinner tonight. It was great!
Nice Recipe, pinned it
can cauliflower be substitued for rice?
So, I decided to make this for lunch. Let me tell you, we LOVED it! It was delicious. As I was making the cheese Sauce, I tasted it here and there, and I knew this recipe was going to be a hit! Thank you so much!