I love casseroles. They’re easy to throw together and most of them have all the elements of a complete meal. This one caught my eye when I read there was Dijon mustard in it. I knew it would give it awesome flavor. Plus with the words ‘cheesy chicken and bacon’ in the title, that’s a winning combo for me! It turned out really good, even the kiddos loved it. I made mine with brown rice to try and give it more of a healthier vibe. (I try to be healthy people, I really do)
This dish will be in my monthly dinner rotation. Fo sho!
Cheesy Chicken, Bacon and Broccoli Rice Casserole
- 2 small chicken breasts cooked and cubed
- 3 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups broccoli florets steamed
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup onion finely diced (optional)
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1 14 ounce can Low-Sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1-2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Set bacon aside. Remove all grease from pan except 2 tablespoons. Add onion (if using) and saute for a few minutes. Whisk in flour until a thick paste forms. Stir in chicken broth, half and half and dijon mustard. Stir until mixture slightly thickens, then add in parmesan cheese. Stir until cheese is melted. Remove from heat.
- Spray a 8×8 baking dish with non-stick spray. Layer rice, chicken and then broccoli in the dish. Pour cheese sauce evenly over the broccoli. Crumble bacon evenly on top. Bake for 15 minutes or until heated through. Serve!
Adapted from Eat Cake for Dinner
(chicken and flour not pictured)
Spread the cooked brown rice in an even layer
Then spread out the cooked chicken over the rice
Next up, the steamed broccoli
Pour the cheese sauce over the top, and then sprinkle with bacon.
Pop that bad boy in the oven and let it bake until it’s hot!
Serve and devour! Mmmmm