We loved this casserole. It got 2 BIG thumbs up from Kelsey. I love her enthusiasm whenever she’s eating something I make. “Oh Mom, this is the BEST thing I’ve ever eaten!” It’s so cute. She wasn’t always like that though. I can remember when she was little, getting her to eat was like pulling teeth. That child would not eat anything! It drove me nuts, and I would worry about her because she was just a tiny little thing.
I remember one time when she was about 5 years old we were eating hamburgers for dinner. She kept telling Kale and I, “This hamburger is so yummy!” after every bite. We were so proud of her! Little did we know that she was actually spitting every bite into her cup when we werent looking. Once we were finished I went to put my plate in the sink and saw the evidence. There sat Kelsey’s cup filled with chewed hamburger stuffed to the brim. I was shocked, but couldnt help but laugh too.
I don’t have to worry about that kind of stuff anymore. She is by far my best eater. She eats everything I make. She’s now starting to show an interest in cooking and loves to help me in the kitchen. I have a feeling she’s going to be a great cook one day!
Cheesy Enchilada Casserole
A delicious Mexican casserole that is sure to be a hit with the entire family!
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 1/2 cups salsa
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup cheese whiz
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon Cumin
- 6 soft taco size flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend or your favorite cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large skillet, brown and crumble ground beef and onion, over medium-high heat, until meat is no longer pink. Drain fat.
- Stir in salsa, beans, cheese whiz, sour cream, taco seasoning and cumin. Stir well and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Spray a 9×9 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Spoon a 1/3 of meat mixture in the bottom. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of cheese. Layer 3 flour tortillas over the top. ( you will have to cut one of the tortillas so they fit ) Spoon another 1/3 of meat mixture on top of the tortillas, then sprinkle another 1/2 cup of cheese. Do one more tortilla layer, the last of the meat mixture and sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until cheese has melted and it’s hot and bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes or so before slicing. Serve and enjoy!
This casserole is great served with shredded lettuce, sour cream and salsa over the top!