TGIF! 🙂 I’m so happy the weekend is almost here. It’s been a long week for us. I’m ready to relax and do a couple fun things we have planned! Before it starts, I wanted to share this amazing Chicken Enchilada Soup. It is creamy, cheesy and packed full of flavor!
This soup is a copy-cat of the one served at Chili’s restaurants. I was excited to give it a try because we love Chili’s version. I made it last week and served it for dinner. My entire family went nuts for it. It was so delicious! My kids loved adding extra cheese and lots of tortilla strips. It makes a lot, so we had leftovers. It was even more delicious the next day!
Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup Masa Harina yellow corn flour
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 15 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 10 oz. can red enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese cubed
- 3 cups chicken cooked and cubed
- Shredded cheese
- Sour Cream
- Tortilla Strips
- Heat a large (12-quart) pot over medium-high heat. Add vegetable oil and diced onion. Stir and cook onion 1 minute. Add dried cumin, chili powder and garlic powder. Stir and cook until onion is soft and translucent.
- In a separate bowl, combine Masa Harina and 4 cups of chicken broth. Whisk until smooth. Pour this mixture into the pot. Stir constantly and cook until mixture thickens slightly. Pour in remaining chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, enchilada sauce and salsa. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Add the cubed Velveeta cheese and stir until its completely melted in soup. Stir in chicken. Reduce heat to low and let soup simmer 10 minutes.
- Serve in individual bowls, with shredded cheese, sour cream and tortilla strips.