Camping season is here! 🙂 But I’ll be honest, I’m not the biggest camper. My idea of a great campout is booking a room in Vegas! ha BUT since I love my hubby and kids so much and because they love camping so much, I go for them (and for the food) 🙂
Let’s be real, there is something so amazing about eating food by an open fire at a campout. Food just tastes better outdoors, especially this Sprite Chicken! This recipe is a family-favorite of ours. I remember the first time Kale’s Dad made it for us. I was in heaven. It is so delicious! When I bought my first Dutch Oven I knew this was the first thing I would make in it.
I posted both ways to make this chicken, so you can enjoy this deliciousness whether your at home or at a campout. Bon appetit!
- ½ pound bacon, cut in bite-size pieces
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in 1-inch cubes
- ½ Tablespoon seasoning salt
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 pounds red potatoes, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound carrots, cut in 2-inch pieces
- 6 ounces Sprite (lemon-lime soda)
- 14-inch Dutch Oven
- Fry bacon in dutch oven on camp chef or stove top until crisp. Remove bacon pieces with a slotted spoon, leaving grease inside. Set bacon aside.
- Combine seasoning salt and flour in a large gallon plastic bag. Add chicken to flour mixture and shake to coat. Add coated chicken pieces to dutch oven and and brown in bacon grease.
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- In this order add onions, then potatoes, carrots, chicken and bacon to dutch oven. Pour Sprite all over the top. Cover with lid.
- Bake at 350° F for 1 hour. Carefully remove from oven. Remove lid and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- ** If cooking at a campsite follow directions above. When ready to cook cover with lid and place dutch oven in hot coals. Cook 45 minutes to 1 hour. (Or until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender.)
Now take a peek at the pics below of this deliciousness cooked at a campout!