I think my little 3 year old Emma would live off peanut butter and jelly sandwiches if I let her. She calls them “Belly Jellys”. She’ll say, “Mom, Can I have a belly jelly for dinner?” 🙂
It seems like that is all she ever wants to eat lately! It drives me nuts, and worries me sometimes. When she was a baby and toddler I thought I had trained her pretty well in eating healthy foods. She LOVED broccoli, carrots, apples. A lot of good healthy foods, but now it’s either PB & J or Macaroni and Cheese, and if I dont give her either she just wont eat!
Of course, my lil Emma ate these Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars up in no time! They are the perfect treats for kids and adults. I think they would be a cute idea to do for a kids birthday party! They are pretty rich, so you can cut them up into pretty small squares and still be satisfied!
Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars
- 2 sticks unsalted butter (1 cup), room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups of jam or jelly I used strawberry
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13 glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- With an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together on medium speed for about 2 minutes.
- Turn speed to low and add vanilla, eggs and peanut butter. Mix until well combined.
- In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. With the mixer still on low speed, slowly add in the flour mixture to the peanut butter mixture. Mix until all combined.
- Spread 2/3 of the dough evenly into the greased baking dish.
- Spread the jelly evenly over the dough. With the remaining dough, drop spoonfuls evenly over the jam. (Don't worry if it doesn't cover it completely, it will spread as it bakes.)
- Bake 40-45 or until golden brown. Let cool atleast 30 minutes before cutting into squares!
Yields: 12 large bars or 24 small