Pesto Chicken Croissants are filled with creamy pesto chicken, tomato, mozzarella cheese and arugula. These croissant sandwiches are so delicious and easy to make!
When the restaurant chain, Zupas, came to town I had to head there to give it a try. I ordered the Pesto Chicken Sandwich and fell madly in love. It was one of the best things I had eaten in a while. It was so good I decided to make my own at home, with my own little twist, and that’s when these Pesto Chicken Croissants were born. They are absolute heaven and so easy to assemble!
WHAT ARE PESTO CHICKEN CROISSANTS?
All the flavors from the tender chicken breast, tomato, cheese and creamy pesto will ignite your palate in a beautiful way! Everything is perfectly balanced and stuffed between a buttery croissant. If you’ve never tried having a sandwich made with a croissant, it will soon become your go-to for sandwich making.
The following is the complete list of ingredients needed to make this fabulous sandwich:
- cooked, shredded chicken breast
- basil pesto
- lite mayo or plain Greek yogurt
- salt and black pepper
- 4 croissants
- 2 cups arugula, for serving
- 2 Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces mozzarella, sliced
PESTO CHICKEN CROISSANTS
Mix the basil pesto, Greek yogurt, (or mayo, if using) salt and pepper together until combined. Slice the croissant rolls in half. Divide the pesto chicken mixture evenly between all the croissants. Add slices of tomato and one slice of mozzarella cheese to each. Place top half of croissants on top and serve!
Bake 2 to 3 chicken breasts in the oven at 450 degrees F. for 15 to 18 minutes. The final cooking time really depends on how thick the chicken breasts are. The internal temperature of the chicken needs to reach 165 degrees F.
You can also use a rotisserie chicken for this recipe. Just pull off all that tender meat and shred. Leftover cooked chicken breast also works great!
If you are feeling the inspiration to make homemade pesto then this sandwich would taste even better! But store-bought pesto works awesome too.
This recipe is amazing for lunch any day of the week. I love to make these for a picnic out with my family. If I am having a few girlfriends over for lunch I like to make these to serve for everyone. These are truly always a hit!
ENJOY THIS RECIPE? HERE ARE MORE OF MY FAVORITE SANDWICHES!
Sweet BBQ Beef Sandwiches – Tender beef cooked in a sweet and tangy BBQ sauce and root beer.
Chicken Caesar Sandwiches – Slices of chicken with a creamy Caesar dressing and veggies on a ciabatta roll.
Club Sandwiches – A double decker sandwich loaded with ham, turkey, bacon, tomatoes, lettuce, and Colby-jack cheese.
Chicken Salad Croissant Sandwiches – Tender chicken salad with juicy grapes and crunch celery tossed in and served in croissants.
Pesto Chicken Croissants
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken breast
- 1/2 cup basil pesto (I like the Barilla brand)
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt (OR light mayo)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 large croissants
- 8 thin slices Roma tomato
- fresh arugula or micro greens
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- Place the chicken, pesto and yogurt in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Gently mix to combine.
- Slice the croissants in half. Divide the pesto chicken mixture evenly among the croissants and place on bottom halves. Add tomato, arugula and cheese to each croissant. Top with top halves. Serve and enjoy!