For the past 35 years of my life I have spent Christmas Eve with my Mom, sisters and our husbands and kiddos. We gather together at one of our homes and have a HUGE celebration! I look forward to it every single year. We make a big feast, play games and just laugh until we cry. It’s always the best time. This year is bittersweet because it will be the first time we aren’t together. Some of our family will be away on vacation for Christmas, so we are having our annual party this weekend.
Each time we assign everyone something to be in charge of. I usually end up bringing a dessert or appetizer. One year I made my Red Velvet Cheesecake Cake and it was a big hit! That’s where I got the idea for this CHOCOLATE CANDY CANE CHEESECAKE CAKE! It’s pretty much the same concept. Swirls of delicious cheesecake runs through chocolate cake. It’s topped off with cream cheese frosting and crushed candy canes! It is DELICIOUS! My little family of 5 went through this cake fast when I last made it. We loved the combo of flavors! I decided very quickly that this would be the treat I make for our early Christmas eve party. I’m thinking I may even have to make two. It’s that good! 😀
Just a side note: My layer of cheesecake fell to the bottom because I didn’t have an egg white! oops. I used milk instead. That’s why it fell. If you follow the directions and use an egg white for the cheesecake layer you will have swirls! 🙂
- 1 box Devils Food chocolate cake mix
- (including ingredients to make cake; eggs, oil, water)
- 1 (8 ounce) block cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 block (4 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons milk
- 3 peppermint candy canes, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 baking pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Prepare chocolate cake batter, according to package directions. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the (8 ounce) block of cream cheese, sugar and egg white. Beat together with an electric hand mixer, on medium speed, for 1-2 minutes or until combined and smooth.
- Pour only half of the chocolate cake batter into the prepared 9×13 pan. Spread out evenly. Then take the cream cheese mixture and drop spoonfuls all over the batter in the pan. Take the back of the spoon and swirl the cream cheese mixture all over the top of the cake batter.
- Pour the remaining cake batter all over the top of the cream cheese mixture. Carefully, spread the cake batter over the top evenly. Covering all of the cream cheese.
- Bake for 38-40 minutes, or until a tooth-pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Let cake cool completely before frosting.
- FOR FROSTING: In a bowl, combine the cream cheese and butter. Beat on medium speed until smooth. Gradually add in powdered sugar, then beat in vanilla and milk, until smooth. Spread frosting on cooled cake. Sprinkle the crushed candy canes all over the top.
- Slice, serve and enjoy! ♥