Hot Fudge Pudding Cake is a simple homemade cake batter that bakes into a beautiful chocolate cake. Warm fudge is hidden inside resulting in a gooey delicious center!
I don’t even know where to begin with this heavenly cake. How do I explain how insanely delicious and AMAZING this Hot Fudge Pudding Cake is? 😉 I’m really hoping the pictures speak for themselves, but just in case they don’t I’ll try and fill you in.
Hot Fudge Pudding Cake is a super simple homemade cake batter that bakes into a beautiful chocolate cake with warm fudge hidden inside. The chocolate flavor is spot-on and the combo of cake with creamy fudge is perfection. It’s basically a dream-come-true dessert.
This Fudge cake is seriously the best and could not be easier to make. From start to finish it’s ready in about 40 minutes. I was so excited to cut right into it and see the warm and gooey fudge oozing out. 🙂
I originally posted this cake recipe a few years ago, but thought it needed to be updated. I’ve also had quite a few emails with two main questions about this cake, so I thought I would answer them in this post. 🙂
Can this recipe double?
Yes! It can easily be doubled. The recipe I’m sharing is for an 8×8-inch size baking pan. If you would like to double it use a 9×13-inch pan and double the ingredients. Easy peasy!
Do I have to use semi-sweet chocolate chips?
Nope. If you are a milk chocolate chip lover then go for it! The cake will be sweeter, but I don’t see anything wrong with that! 😉
Those are the two main questions I get. Please feel free to leave me a comment if you have any other questions. This cake is incredibly easy to make and will be the star of dessert. I promise!
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray. Whisk ½ cup sugar with ¼ cup cocoa powder and set aside.
- Whisk the flour, remaining ½ cup sugar, remaining ¼ cup cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk milk, butter, egg yolk, and vanilla in medium bowl until smooth. Stir milk mixture into flour mixture until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips (batter will be stiff).
- Using a rubber spatula, scrape batter into prepared pan and spread into corners. Sprinkle reserved cocoa and sugar mixture evenly over the top. Gently pour boiling water over cocoa. Do not stir.
- Bake until the top of the cake is cracked, sauce is bubbling and a toothpick inserted into cakey area comes out mostly clean, about 22-24 minutes. Cool on rack for at least 10 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.