Baked Penne is a classic and hearty pasta dish that is made by layering penne pasta, spaghetti sauce and a cream cheese mixture then baked to perfection! It’s absolute comfort in a pan!
Baked Penne is a classic and hearty pasta dish that is made by layering penne pasta, spaghetti sauce and a cream cheese mixture that is baked to perfection! It’s absolute comfort in a pan! If you’re in need of a scrumptious, warm-your-soul kind of meal, this is the perfect dish for you! 😀
To make this dinner even better, you could pair it with a few different breads! My Gorgonzola Garlic Bread, Cheesy Garlic Bread, and Garlic Parmesan Breadsticks would make the perfect additions! Or if you’d rather keep it simple, my Easy Artisan Bread works too. No matter if you choose to serve the Baked Penne on it’s own or with some carbs, you can’t go wrong either way! 🙂
Although Baked Penne is traditionally made with meat, you can actually make it vegetarian if that’s what you like! Just totally disregard the ground beef on the ingredients list and you’re good to go. If you do like meat, but aren’t really feeling the beef, using grilled or baked chicken would make delicious alternatives.
The options are endless! 🙂
Before we go our separate ways, (hopefully your separate way is straight to the kitchen to whip up this Baked Penne) I want to note something.
When I originally posted this recipe (back in 2013!) the Philadelphia cooking cremes were sold at most grocery stores. I can’t find it anymore here in Utah. I’m not sure if that’s a local thing or what, so to replace the cooking creme I now use cream cheese and Italian seasoning. I have used this mixture many times and have absolutely loved each turn out. But if your local grocery store does happen to carry it, definitely give it a try!
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (season with salt and pepper)
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 jar (24 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 6 ounces chive and onion cream cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 pound cooked Penne pasta (8 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large non-stick skillet, over medium-high heat, cook and crumble ground beef, onion and garlic together until beef is no longer pink. Drain any grease.Stir in spaghetti sauce, 4 ounces of the cream cheese, Italian seasoning and 1/2 cup of Mozzarella cheese.
- Cook and stir mixture until cheese is melted; about 5 minutes. Gently stir in the cooked penne pasta to combine.Carefully pour mixture into a greased 8×8-inch baking dish. Dot the rest of the cream cheese evenly over the pasta. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of Mozzarella cheese evenly over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy! ♥