This Berry Galette is basically a pie without a pie plate. It’s really easy to make and everyone will eat it up!
Hey there! It’s Mandy from Mandy’s Recipe Box filling in for Holly today. I am super jealous that she is off relaxing in Hawaii and she better be enjoying some amazing fresh pineapple for me! I have known Holly for at least 6 years now. She is one of the very first friends I made through blogging and now we are BFFs. We are foodie twins to the max. I love every single recipe Holly posts and that is saying a LOT. I hope you all come visit me over at Mandy’s Recipe Box once you see the amazing Berry Galette I have for you today.
A galette is basically a free form pie or cake. This is a pie made on a sheet cake pan. Add pie filling to the center and then the edges are folded over themselves to make a flat rustic looking pie. Add an egg wash and sprinkling of sugar and you’re done. It’s really hard to mess it up. Try it and see!
- one uncooked pie crust store bought or homemade
- 16 ounces fresh strawberries, cut into small pieces
- 11 ounces fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 large egg
- extra sugar for crust
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Allow store bought pie crust to sit on the counter while you prepare the filling. If using homemade dough, roll into a circle and place onto greased jelly roll pan or one that is lined with a silicone baking mat. For store bought crust, unroll and place onto jelly roll pan as you would the homemade crust.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the strawberries and blueberries with the cornstarch and sugar. Stir to coat.
- Place in the center of the pie crust leaving room around the edges to fold.
- Bring the edges up over part of the fruit filling, overlapping them as needed until all the edges have been brought up around the fruit. Gently press together the areas where the crust overlaps to help ensure that they stay up around the fruit.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg with a fork. Using a pastry brush, brush the edges with egg.
- Sprinkle some sugar over the egg and filling.
- Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve. You can top it with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream before serving if desired.
One thought on “Berry Galette”
This looks delicious and so easy! Pie crusts are my worst enemy, as I dislike the store bought ones but always screw up the homemade ones. But perhaps this could work a little better if I don’t have to finagle it into a pan? Or it could be worse. Guess I’ll find out!