Savory Shepherds Pie filling are drenched over baked potatoes. This easy and delicious meal will win hearts at the dinner table!
Shepherds Baked Potatoes are my new favorite dinner. They are so good! 🙂 I love a healthy meal that doesn’t taste healthy. You know what I mean? This is pure comfort food without the fat ( if you minus the cheese). This dish is a new twist on the usual Shepherds’s Pie casserole.
Now, I already know traditional Shepherd’s Pie is made with lamb, but we are not lamb fans at our house, so I use ground beef. It is absolutely delicious!
You don’t need to fuss over making a batch of mashed potatoes with this recipe. All you do is bake some potatoes for an hour and in the meantime make this simple meat sauce on your stove top. It is really easy to do, and when it’s done you will have one fabulous meal!
Shepherd's Baked Potatoes
- 6 medium Russet Potatoes
- 2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- Shepherd's Sauce:
- 1 pound lean ground beef (or ground lamb. Lamb is the traditional meat. We prefer beef.)
- 1 can (10.75 ounces) tomato soup
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup cut green beans
- 1 cup corn
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Wash potatoes with water. Dry with paper towels.Drizzle potatoes with vegetable oil and then sprinkle evenly with kosher salt. Poke a couple holes in the potatoes with a fork and then place them on a baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour or until fork tender.
- When potatoes have about 15 minutes left to bake, start on the shepherd's sauce.
- Shepherd's Sauce: In a large skillet, brown ground beef over medium-high heat. Drain any grease. Pour in tomato sauce and soup and then sprinkle in garlic powder, onion flakes and chili powder. Stir well. Pour in milk, green beans and corn.Continue to stir and cook until mixture boils. Reduce heat to low and let simmer until potatoes are ready.
- Once potatoes are finished baking, carefully remove from oven. They will be very hot! Let potatoes rest so they can cool a bit. Once able to handle, cut a slit on top of each potato and then squeeze sides to open.Top each potato with meat sauce. You can also top with shredded cheese, sour cream and chives. Enjoy!