This classic Shepherd’s Pie recipe will have everyone asking for seconds. It’s full of flavor and the creamy mashed potatoes make it extra delicious!
I thought I’d get into the spirit of St. Patrick’s Day and share some of our favorite recipes this week! First up, Shepherds Pie. I love this stuff. It is comfort food at its finest and definitely delicious. I have made this recipe dozens of times and it’s finally making its debut on the blog 🙂
Making this recipe with ground beef is traditionally called ‘Cottage Pie’. But since it’s mostly known as ‘Shepherd’s Pie’ that is what I call it. If you’re not a fan of this amazing meal-in-one then try this recipe and it will convert you. Promise! It is packed with tons of flavor, and the mashed potatoes and cheese on top make it irresistible.
Don’t let the list of ingredients scare you. This meal comes together in hardly any time, and worth every bite!
Shepherd's Pie (aka. Cottage Pie)
This classic Shepherd's Pie will have everyone asking for seconds. The meat mixture is so flavorful and the creamy mashed potatoes and cheese make it extra delicious.
Servings 6 - 8
- 3 large russet potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 pounds ground beef or lamb, turkey
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- FOR POTATO LAYER: Peel potatoes and chop into small pieces. Place chopped potatoes in a large pot of water. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender. (About 15 - 20 minutes)
- Drain water from pot. Mash the potatoes. Add butter, milk and garlic powder. Continue to mash until no lumps remain. Cover potatoes and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish with non-stick spray.
- FOR MEAT LAYER: In a large 12-inch skillet, over medium-high heat, add ground beef,onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook and crumble meat until browned. Drain grease.
- Sprinkle flour evenly over meat mixture. Stir and cook 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste, broth, Worcestershire sauce and oregano. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in frozen peas, carrots and corn. Cook another 5 to 10 minutes or until heated through.
- Pour meat mixture into prepared pan. Spread mashed potatoes evenly over the top. Top potatoes with cheddar cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 35 minutes until casserole is hot and bubbly. Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes before serving.