Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is one I’ve been making forever. It’s healthy, delicious and so easy to make. It’s another slow cooker recipe win!
My Mom first made this Chicken Tortilla Soup for Christmas Eve about eighteen years ago. I was living in Bullhead City, AZ at the time and I always looked forward to come up to St. George, visit my family, and get to eat my Mom’s home cooking.
I fell in-love at first bite and have literally been making it ever since. She got the recipe from a Light Cookbook (I’m sorry I would acknowledge which one but I don’t remember). It is a light recipe, until after you start adding all the delicious toppings. Cheese, sour cream and of course tortilla strips. ha! And I believe those are a must too. 😉
The recipe she got was not a slow cooker version. It’s made on the stove top. So I took the liberty of trying it in my crock pot and the rest is history. It’s the perfect soup!
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 2 cans (10.5 ounces each) Rotel diced tomatoes w/ green chilies, undrained
- 1 (29 ounce) can Pureed or Crushed Tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed then drained
- Place chicken breasts in the bottom of a greased 7 quart slow cooker. Place all remaining ingredients over chicken. Stir to combine. Cover with lid and cook on low heat 6 hours or high heat for 4 hours. Carefully remove chicken from slow cooker and place on a large plate or platter. Shred with two forks.
- Place shredded chicken back in slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Serve soup warm with favorite toppings: cheese, tortilla strips, sour cream, etc.