Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken is an easy recipe that is packed with flavor! This chicken can go great in tacos, burritos, salads and more!
Hi friends. Today I am sharing a recipe that I absolutely love! This Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken has been a family favorite for a few years now. I love to make a batch of this chicken for all different kinds of meals. We use it in tacos, burritos, salads, quesadillas- you name it.
This recipe makes quite a bit, so we usually have leftovers. I just love recipes like this because of that reason alone. I can use it through out the week for many things.
The flavor of this chicken is where it’s at! It uses super simple ingredients you most likely already have. Once it’s all done cooking, and ready to serve, you won’t believe how delicious it is. 🙂
What I also really like about this Mexican Shredded Chicken is that it’s healthy! Kale and I have been on a fitness kick the last month and are already losing weight and feeling so much better.
We made this chicken the other day and put it on a green salad with some light dressing. It was delicious! The next day we put it in low carb tortillas for soft tacos and it was a hit again. Even my kids love this chicken. It’s a family dinner win for sure 🙂
Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken
- 2 pounds large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup mild salsa
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 can (10 ounces) Rotel (diced tomatoes with green chilies)
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon EACH of ground cumin garlic powder, onion powder and salt
- 1/2 teaspoon EACH of paprika dry oregano and pepper
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Spray a large slow cooker with non-stick spray. Set chicken breasts inside. Pour olive oil over chicken and stir to coat. Add all of the remaining ingredients to chicken except for the lime juice.
- Cover with lid and cook on low heat for 5 to 6 hours, or on high heat for 2 to 4 hours.
- Carefully remove chicken to a cutting board. Shred. Place shredded chicken back in slow cooker and cover with lid. Let cook another 30 minutes. Squeeze fresh lime juice over chicken then serve.
When ready to eat, place bag in refrigerator for 24 hours to thaw. Then microwave or reheat in a large pot over medium heat. Serve warm!
Recipe adapted from: Carlsbad Cravings