Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken is an easy recipe that is packed with flavor! This chicken can go great in tacos, burritos, salads and more!
Hi there friends. Today I am sharing a recipe that I absolutely love! This Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken has become one of my go-to’s ever since I found it on Carlsbad Cravings blog. (I just adore Jenn and if you haven’t been to her blog yet, then I suggest you do asap. It’s amazing!) 🙂
I love to make a batch of this chicken for all different kinds of meals. We use it in tacos, burritos, salads, quesadillas- you name it. It makes a decent amount so we usually have leftovers and so I will use it again the next day for a different meal! I just love recipes like that. You guys, the flavor of this chicken is where it’s at. It uses super simple ingredients you most likely already have, and once it’s all done and ready to serve you won’t believe how delicious it is.
What I also really like about this Mexican Shredded Chicken is that it’s healthy! Kale and I have been on a fitness kick the last month and are already losing weight and feeling so much better. We have been working out and eating right. We made this chicken the other day and put it on a green salad. It was delicious! The next day we put it in low carb tortillas for soft tacos and it was a hit again. Even my kids love this chicken. It’s a family dinner win for sure 🙂
Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken
Recipe type: Main Course
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ cup mild salsa
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel (diced tomatoes with green chilies)
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon EACH of ground cumin, garlic powder, onion powder and salt
- ½ teaspoon EACH of paprika, dry oregano and pepper
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Spray a large slow cooker with non-stick spray. Set chicken breasts inside. Pour olive oil over chicken and stir to coat. Add all of the remaining ingredients to chicken except for the lime juice.
- Cover with lid and cook on low heat for 5 to 6 hours, or on high heat for 2 to 4 hours.
- Carefully remove chicken to a cutting board. Shred. Place shredded chicken back in slow cooker and cover with lid. Let cook another 30 minutes. Squeeze fresh lime juice over chicken then serve.
Recipe adapted from: Carlsbad Cravings