Strawberries and Cream Crepes are thin and delicate pancake-like pastries wrapped around fresh strawberries and sweet cream filling. These homemade crepes are easy to prepare and taste amazing!
Contrary to popular belief, crepes are actually very easy to make. They may look fancy but they are simple to prepare and so delicious! These Strawberries and Cream Crepes are one of my family’s favorite breakfasts to eat. Once you wrap the delicate crepe around that center of freshly sliced strawberries and creamy filling, you will fall in love! 😉
The crepe itself is light, airy, and not too sweet, so the filling can be the center of attention. The cream cheese adds a richness that pairs perfectly with the fresh fruit. The strawberries add a refreshing flavor and juicy crunch in every bite. Try a sprinkling of powdered sugar over the top for the most elegant breakfast, dinner, or late night treat.
WHAT IS A CREPE?
A crepe is a delicate and thin pastry that resembles a pancake, except the batter is made without a leavening agent (baking powder or soda) so it doesn’t become thick and fluffy like the typical pancake.
They are well known for being made in France, but they’ve become a delicious delicacy often enjoyed in the Unites States and all over the world. You can find them being served at restaurants, special events, and now in your very own kitchen!
Crepes can be made either sweet or savory and can be filled or topped with just about anything you wish! From meats and veggies to chocolate and whipped cream, crepes do it all!
For the Crepes
- Salted Butter
For the Filling
- Cream cheese
- Vanilla extract
- Fresh strawberries
- Heavy whipping cream
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST CREPES
- Don’t flip the crepe too early. If you flip it before it has fully cooked, odds are that it will rip. To avoid this, make sure the edges have slightly curled and the surface is no longer shiny.
- Blend the batter. Since the consistency of the batter is very important, using an electric blender ensures it will be nice and silky.
- Don’t let the pan overheat. It is important to not let the pan get too hot. If it’s too hot, the batter won’t spread all the way to the edges and you’ll get a crepe filled with holes and uneven thickness throughout. For best results, use medium to medium-low heat.
CAN STRAWBERRIES AND CREAM CREPES BE MADE AHEAD?
Yes they can!
For the Crepes:
Make the batter the day or night before you need it. It can be stored covered in the fridge for a day or two. You can also cook the crepes then place them in a plastic container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
For the Filling:
The filling can be made ahead of time as well. Keep it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days only. The sliced strawberries will start to juice and brown the longer they stay in the fridge.
CAN I FREEZE THE CREPES?
After the crepes have cooked and cooled you can place them in a freezer-safe airtight container. Freeze for up to 4 months. To thaw them just place in the fridge to slowly thaw or microwave them for a few seconds. They don’t need much re-heating time.
Enjoy this recipe? Here are more delicious breakfast options!
Breakfast Enchiladas: scrambled eggs, crispy bacon, maple sausage, and cheddar cheese all wrapped up in a tortilla. An homemade enchilada-salsa tops these off to perfection!
Cinnamon Roll Pancakes: pancakes with swirls of cinnamon and sugar. A heavenly cream cheese glaze drizzle tops them off.
Strawberry Cheese Danish: buttery, flaky crescent rolls with a strawberry center and a vanilla glaze drizzle.
Chunky Cinnamon French Toast: thick and delicious French toast topped with a decadent homemade caramel syrup.
Strawberries and Cream Crepes
For the Crepes:
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup salted butter softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Strawberries and Cream Filling:
- 6 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 4 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 3 cups freshly sliced strawberries
- Place all crepe ingredients into a blender. Blend until smooth.Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Once skillet is hot, grease with cooking spray.
- Pour a 1/4 cup of batter onto the center of the hot skillet. Hold on to the handle and immediately tilt the skillet in a circular motion so the batter coats the bottom of the skillet in a thin layer. Cook for 30 seconds or until edges start to curl and bottom of crepe is golden. Carefully, flip to the other side and cook another 30 seconds or until golden.
- Remove from heat and place crepe on a large plate. Cover to keep warm while you make the remaining crepes. You should get 12 total.
Strawberries and Cream Filling:
- In a medium bowl, add the cream cheese, 1/3 cup powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Blend with an electric hand-mixer until smooth and combined.
- In a separate, medium bowl, blend the whipping cream and 4 Tablespoons powdered sugar with an electric hand-mixer, on high speed, until stiff peaks form.(Reserve 1/2 cup of whipped cream for the top of the crepes, if desired.)
- Fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture until smooth and combined.Spread a thin layer of filling down the center of each crepe then top with a 1/4 cup strawberry slices. Roll up and top with more strawberries and a dollop of fresh whipped cream. Enjoy!