Sweet Fire Chicken is a sweet and spicy Asian inspired meal that may become your new favorite. This chicken dish is a firework factory of flavor!
SET YOUR SIGHTS ON A FUSION OF FLAVOR
The inspiration for this recipe today is from Panda Express- one of our favorite fast food places. I have to say, this homemade version is one million times better! The chicken is a bit crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. The flavor is perfection too.
One of my favorite combos is a little bit of sweet with a little bit of heat. This Sweet Fire Chicken combines both of those palate sensations!
SWEET FIRE CHICKEN
The breading soaks up every bit of sauce and has great texture. When you pan-fry the chicken, as instructed in the recipe, it will have just a tiny bit of crisp to it.
If you air-fried it then I imagine it would be even crispier. I recommend air-frying the chicken according to your air-fryer’s instructions for one pound. I would also air-fry it in two batches after you have coated the chicken in the cornstarch and egg.
NOTE* (I have not yet tried this myself in the air fryer, but this is how I would do it if I did. Once I do try it I will report back to this recipe and update it!)
I would also add the sweet Thai chili sauce to the cooked chicken once it’s ready to serve. You can also serve it on the side for dipping to keep that crunch on the chicken.
A SWEET DISH WITH A NOTE OF HEAT
Pineapple Tidbits – The pineapple gives the chicken a sweet note that balances so well with the spice.
Sweet Chili Sauce – This sauce is mellow enough for anyone who might not prefer a lot of heat, yet potent enough to satisfy any heat lover’s preference.
Minced Garlic – Everything is better with garlic!
WHAT IS BEST SERVED WITH SWEET FIRE CHICKEN?
I think this crave-worthy chicken is best served with fried rice or noodles. Honestly, you can’t go wrong with either one. Half of my family prefers rice, and the other half noodles. I love both. 😊
With this recipe you’ll have a fantastic dinner on the table in under an hour!
ENJOY THIS RECIPE? HERE ARE A FEW MORE ASIAN INSPIRED DINNERS!
Szechuan Chicken – A rich and gourmet teriyaki sauce that covers tender chicken and vegetables.
Easy Thai Noodles – Rice noodles served with vegetables, asian spices, and any meat of your choosing.
Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken – A savory, succulent, and rich teriyaki sauce slow cooked with tender chicken breast.
Chicken Stir Fry – Juicy bits of chicken sauteed with tender vegetables in a satisfying stir fry sauce.
Sweet Fire Chicken
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into small 1-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 5 Tablespoons vegetable oil divided
- 1 red bell pepper diced (seeds and ribs removed)
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple tidbits drained
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup sweet Thai chili sauce
- freshly chopped green onion for garnish (optional)
- pinch of red pepper flakes for extra heat (optional)
- Place the cornstarch in a large ziplock bag. Add chicken to bag and shake well to coat chicken pieces.
- Beat the eggs in a medium bowl. Place the flour in a separate large ziplock bag. Working in two batches, dip the coated chicken into the beaten eggs, and then dunk into the flour. Repeat until all chicken is coated.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons of oil in a large non-stick skillet, over medium-high heat. Working again in two batches, add one half of the coated chicken to skillet. Cook and stir until thoroughly cooked, browned and crispy; about 12 minutes. Remove chicken from skillet and place in a bowl. Tent with foil and set aside.
- Heat 2 more Tablespoons of oil in the skillet and repeat cooking process with remaining chicken. Transfer this chicken to the plate with the other chicken. Cover and set aside.
- Carefully wipe out the skillet clean. Add the remaining 1 Tablespoon of oil, bell pepper, onion, pineapple and garlic. Stir and cook until bell pepper and onion are slightly tender; about 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked chicken back to the skillet with the bell peppers, onion and pineapple. Pour in the sweet Thai chili sauce and gently stir to combine everything. Cook another minute or until mixture is heated through. Serve immediately and enjoy!
*Recipe was updated on 9/10/23*