This is the ultimate recipe for The Best Rice Krispie Treats. You’ll fall in love all over again with this easy to make classic treat.
There is nothing quite like a freshly made rice krispie treat. It has almost every texture under the sun; crispy, soft, dense, gooey, light, and enjoyable. I wouldn’t be surprised if your family has a recipe that has been passed down from generation to generation. But once you try my recipe for The Best Rice Krispie Treats, they may just become your new way to make this incredible treat. Give it a try and you will understand why this is the best!
THE BEST RICE KRISPIE TREATS
This recipe reminds me of my childhood. When my sisters and I were out of school for the summer, and wanted a little something sweet, this is the first thing we would make. They’re super simple to make, and you don’t even have to use the oven. This no-bake treat consists of Rice Krispie Cereal, butter, marshmallows, and a little bit of salt. But what makes this recipe the very best, is the extra marshmallows I add in at the end. They are what make this treat so spectacular!
I bet you have most of the ingredients already, just waiting for you to whip up a batch of these delicious treats:
- 5 Tablespoons salted butter
- 8 cups mini marshmallows, divided
- 6 cups Rice Krispie cereal
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (optional, but highly recommended if you use unsalted butter.)
Begin by melting butter in a large pot. Once the butter is melted, add 6 cups of the marshmallows and the salt, if using. Stir continuously until marshmallows are melted. Remove from heat immediately to not burn the marshmallows.
Next, add the rice krispie cereal. Stir until just combined, then stir in the remaining 2 cups of marshmallows. Line a 9’ x 9’ baking dish with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray. Spread the rice krispie mixture into the pan evenly. Let it cool completely before cutting into squares to enjoy.
PARTIES AND CELEBRATIONS
This recipe is great for birthdays! I love to make this for my kid’s parties because everyone seems to love them. For good reason too, they are perfect just as they are! You can very easily double or triple up the batch if you need to prepare for a large crowd of kids.
I would be surprised if you have any leftovers after you make these because they are sure to disappear. If you do end up with some leftover, then keep in a Ziploc bag on your counter. They should stay good for 2 to 3 days.
CAN I USE ANOTHER KIND OF CEREAL?
If you are feeling a little adventurous with the recipe, and want to mix things up a little bit, I say go for it! I recommend staying with a cereal base. If there is a style that’s a little fruity, or a little chocolatey then substitute that for the regular rice krispie cereal.
Sometimes I like to drizzle just a little bit of chocolate, or caramel on top. A little goes a long way. You still want to keep the true essence of the rice krispie treat. I will also mix in some M&Ms from time to time for flavor and color.
ENJOY THIS RECIPE? HERE ARE A FEW MORE OF MY FAVORITE NO-BAKE TREATS!
No Bake M&M Energy Bites – These small, yet mighty, bites are packed with protein and are perfect for a quick breakfast or afternoon snack.
The Best No Bake Cookies – The ultimate recipe for everyone’s favorite chocolate, peanut butter, and oats cookie.
No Bake Peanut Butter Bars – Rich dessert bars loaded with peanut butter, chocolate, Reese’s peanut butter cups, and Reese’s pieces.
Easy No Bake Cheesecake – This creamy and delicious dessert is mixed and put right into the freezer to set. No oven required!
The Best Rice Krispie Treats
- 5 Tablespoons butter (I use salted butter)
- 8 cups mini marshmallows divided
- 6 cups Rice Krispie cereal
- 1/8 teaspoon salt optional
- Line a 9×9-inch pan with aluminum foil. Spray foil with non-stick spray, set aside.
- In a large pot, over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Once butter is melted add 6 cups mini marshmallows and salt (if using). Stir constantly until marshmallows are melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in Rice Krispie cereal. Stir until just barely coated in marshmallow mixture. Now stir in the remaining 2 cups of mini marshmallows.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and press evenly into the pan.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares. Serve and enjoy!