Birthday Cake Cookies are soft, delicious and taste like vanilla birthday cake. Each cookie is bursting with color and flavor!
I have some exciting news to share with everyone! Today, on September 14th 2022, is my website’s 12th birthday! It’s hard to believe that 12 years have flown by. The expression of ‘do what you love, and you’ll never work a day in your life’ is very true. It has been my pleasure, and dream, to be able to cook, create, and share my recipes with all of you. So, today calls for a special recipe. These Birthday Cake Cookies are here to get the party started!
WHAT ARE BIRTHDAY CAKE COOKIES?
These large cookies are similar to the traditional birthday cake with a light cake batter cookie base and a smooth buttercream frosting. The tops are covered in lots of rainbow sprinkles! It’s infused with all the classic elements of a birthday cake, but in cookie form. Each bite is like having a slice of your own personal cake!
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE BIRTHDAY CAKE COOKIES
Once you begin making these they will be anticipated at each birthday 🙂
- Salted butter
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Cake batter flavoring (it’s important you use the right one)
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
HOW TO MAKE BIRTHDAY CAKE COOKIES
Begin by creaming the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Make sure the butter is room temperature, so it can blend easily with the other ingredients. Slowly add the eggs and cake batter flavoring. Mix well and scrape the sides of the bowl.
Next, add the flour and baking powder. Mix until just combined. (Avoid over-mixing.) Use a 1/3 cup measuring cup to scoop and measure the dough per cookie. Form dough into a large disc, then place on a prepared baking sheet. Evenly space 6 cookies per baking sheet.
Bake at 350 F. for 15 to 16 minutes or until tops are no longer glossy. It’s important not to over-bake these!
FROSTING AND SPRINKLES
I top these cookies with a classic buttercream frosting with cake batter flavoring and rainbow sprinkles! This is what gives the cookies that fun birthday vibe! If you want to take it to the next level, try adding a lit candle on top for the birthday boy or girl. This is a fun way to keep the celebration fresh and fun!
CELEBRATE WITH THESE FUN COOKIES
Friends and family ask me all the time for recommendations when it comes to birthday celebrations. What cake to make, what snacks to prepare, and how to make sure everyone is having a great time while celebrating the birthday boy or girl. The truth is everyone wants to feel somewhat special at a birthday party. My Birthday Cake Cookies are the best way to ensure each guest feels like they get their own personal celebration.
Food coloring is another fun way to make these cookies unique! Does your birthday boy or girl have a favorite color? Add that color to the cookie dough, or frosting, so that they feel extra special with a pop of their favorite color!
HOW MANY COOKIES DOES THE RECIPE YIELD?
Each batch will make about 12 large cookies. One cookie can serve two, but they are so tasty you may want one all to yourself!
If you are serving a big crowd, then you can easily double and triple the recipe. Make sure to give yourself enough time to bake, cool, and frost before your guests arrive.
ENJOY THIS RECIPE? HERE ARE A FEW MORE OF MY FAVORITE COOKIES!
Oreo Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies – Bits of Oreo and milk chocolate chips come together in this wonderful cookie.
Soft and Chewy M&M Cookies – This classic cookie gets even better with colorful M&M’s mixed throughout.
Breakfast Cookies – Who doesn’t love a cookie for breakfast? This recipe is a surprising and healthy way to get the day started.
Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies – Hints of peppermint and chocolate consume these gorgeous green cookies.
Birthday Cake Cookies
- 1 ½ cups salted butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon cake batter flavoring (I use this LorAnn cake batter flavoring)
- 4 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
Cake Batter Buttercream Frosting
- 3/4 cup salted butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon cake batter flavoring
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons milk to thin frosting, if needed
- rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpat baking mats. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the butter and sugar. Cream together until fluffy and combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula, then add the eggs and cake batter flavoring. Mix again just until combined.
- Add the flour and baking powder to mixture. Mix again until just combined. Don't over-mix.
- Using a 1/3 cup measuring cup, scoop dough and then shape into a flat disc/ hockey puck shape. Place on the prepared baking sheets. Repeat with remaining cookie dough; placing 6 cookies on each pan.
- Bake for 15 to 16 minutes, or until cookies are puffy and tops are no longer shiny. (Don't over-bake. I bake mine for exactly 15 minutes, but keep in mind all ovens heat differently.) Carefully remove from oven and let cookies cool completely.
Cake Batter Buttercream Frosting
- Beat the softened butter and powdered sugar together until creamy and combined. Beat in cake batter extract until combined. *For a thinner frosting, add 1 Tablespoon of milk at a time, until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Frost each cookie then top with rainbow sprinkles. Enjoy! 🙂